24

"Thank goodness you didn't join them...!" Kokichi sighed in relief; you could practically hear the smile in his voice. After everyone had split up in the gym, the boy had followed you out until the two of you decided to just hang out in your dorm. You found yourself actually enjoying your time with him. "I don't know what I would have done without my best friend to mess around with!"

"You're talking about the 'brainwashing,' right?" You shrugged your shoulders humbly. "You've got others to be your friend. I'm no one special."

"Nuh-uh! True...I do see everyone here as a friend! But it's not like a lot of them are kind to me, y'know."

You furrowed your brows at what he just said. "You say that last part...so casually... It's kind of sad."

"Eh, whatever. You don't strangle me or yell at me, so that's why...you're my best...friend!"

"Some of them don't strangle or yell at y—"

"Hey. Take that thing off for a moment and look at me." Kokichi pulled the checkered scarf off of your eyes, allowing you to see once more. "You've put up with me, and now you're stuck with me! Nishishi~! You're different from some of the others, which is why I've kept coming back to you. Don't be so dense as to not believe that, okay?" He shot you an innocent and hopeful smile.

"Uhm..." You glanced away for a moment. "I...guess?"

Kokichi sighed. "Man are you stubborn. Oh well. All it means is that I'll have to work harder!" He instantly brightened up at that. "You've earned my respect from not joining the council. I really do; it's not a lie. I mean, I bet you were tempted to join considering the circumstances you're in, right? But you broke past the illusion and saw Angie's trick, right? Only another reason why you're an amazing...friend!"

Shouldn't respect come before friendship...?? You mentally sighed.

Kokichi hummed a bit, glancing around the room before averting his gaze back to you. "Nishishi! With my scarf around your neck... Just change your outfit to white and then you'll fit in perfectly in my organization!"

"Oh really, now?" you humored him.

"Mmhm! Buuut...I would like to get rid of that bandage."

"Huh...? You mean...this?" You pointed at the bandage you still had on your face. You remembered playing the knife game and accidentally cutting yourself there.

"Yeah. Surely the cut is healed by now, right?"

"Uh... I guess it might be..."

"Geez...! Stop being so awkward about everything!" The boy in front of you just huffed. "Now go! I don't wanna see that thing on you anymore!"

"Alright, alright." You stood up from the bed that you two had been sitting on. Walking over to the bathroom, you parked yourself right in front of the mirror. You pulled the bandage back a bit, and sure enough the cut had healed. There was a small scar, but it was just barely visible. You disposed of the bandage after taking it entirely off and walked back to your bed.

"Wow! You look even better than how I remembered!" Kokichi told you, eyes wide. "You know, with your face being hidden most of the time... And now, without that stupid bandage, I can see even more of your pretty face during those rare times where you take the scarf off!"

"Oh, I feel so flattered," you deadpanned. However, you did feel your face flush up a bit. You didn't know why, though. It should be normal for friends to compliment each other, right? So this wasn't any different...right?

"But really, what are you going to do with the scarf now?"

"Hm..." You actually hadn't thought about that. "If I can trust you then...I'll tell you this. I think I want to keep wearing this to cover my eyes."