43

"Alright, let's get started," Kaito announced.

"A-Are we really gonna be okay?" Tsumugi asked.

"Wh-Wh-What are you afraid of? Of course it's gonna be okay...right?" Himiko began to sweat.

Kaito held up a thumbs up and gave the girl a reassuring smile. "Heh, there's no need to worry! Of course it's gonna be a little dangerous, but... We've got all these Ultimates here! If we all work together everything will be all right!"

You tuned out after that. Your anger had settled down for the time being, just to be replaced with anxiety. It wasn't that you didn't trust Kokichi with this, but... Where is he? Didn't he say that he'd be watching us from a distance?

You glanced around. Through the midst of your thoughts, you swore that you could hear the others mention Kaede's wish or something like that. I don't think that we can really fulfill her wish at this point, you thought pessimistically. You then mentally groaned. Kokichi...why'd you have to leave so soon...

He's only been gone for about a day. Are you really that needy? He better not die, or you'll be so lost...

It's true though.

"I thought you wanted us to go through the passage," someone spoke to you, grabbing your attention. "You need to do this too."

"Of course, I was planning on doing that. I just got distracted." You turned to the tunnel's entrance. I've been here... I've forgotten how many times that I've been here before. But now I can finally get through to the other side...and see whatever Kokichi found.

You took a few small steps forward, hearing the others rush to your side to walk with you. Everyone seemed to look around at each other, exchanging looks and nods before running forward. After a small second of hesitation, you followed after them.

All throughout the tunnel, everyone ran around while swinging their Electrohammers around. Like it was a normal thing. Like it was just a casual stroll in the park. A park with bombs flying everywhere and pitfalls.

You swung your hammer at a bomb that was flying right at your face. You paused for a second, panting to regain your breath, and continued. Even though everyone seemed to be growing more tired the farther they ran on, you noticed that no one dropped out. You didn't even trip once.

Before any of you all knew it...the tunnel had ended. You all made it to the end of the tunnel.

"Is this...the exit?" Maki asked, a small bead of sweat rolling down her face. She glanced at the large door.

"It seems like it. Look there." Kaito held up a shaky finger.

"Oh! It's a door!" Himiko exclaimed through pants. "On the other side of that door..."

"Yeah! It's probably the outside world!"

"Nyeeeh! We diiid iiit! We can finally escape!"

"...Don't get your hopes up," Maki said, frowning slightly. "We need to know if this is actually the outside world."

"Y-You're right... We don't know what the outside world looks like now."

Kaito just shrugged and smiled. "Heh, it's fine! Monokuma was probably just lying to us! The skies over this academy are normal, so the meteorites are probably gone. Everything's fine out there."

"Anyway, let's open that door. We'll have plenty of time for talk afterward," Kiibo declared. "That looks similar to the electric barrier in front of the Exisal hangar... Unless we disable that, we won't be able to open that door."