44

Warm rays of golden light streamed through the giant windows in the halls. Something felt off though. The sight of it just brought back memories of walking carelessly through the halls. No one at the time even knew what they were going to be in for. Hell, even the floors made you feel a bit nostalgic. They used to be almost entirely covered in long stems of grass and weeds, and now they were just...normal floors. I guess Monokuma and the Monokubs have been at work.

You looked over at your side, watching Kokichi bounce a little as he walked. He might be trying to stay positive...

It was the next morning, and you and him had decided to leave for your research lab before the morning announcement came on, so that meant the no one should be awake. If there were people awake, though, then it most likely wouldn't be many.

But then again, there aren't even that many of us left...

You shook your head, trying to focus on something else. Anything else other than death who was just waving at everyone, waiting to decide on who to jump on next. And that...created a weird image in your mind. You awkwardly cleared your throat.

"Hey. I just remembered, um... What did you do with Kaito?"

Kokichi turned around to look at you, a calm expression on his face. "Oh, him? I just tied him up and sold him to be a slave in Siberia, that's all."

"Kokichi..."

The small boy smiled a bit. "Okaaay, fiiine. It seems that you've seen straight through my lie! He's actually going to Mexico."

You raised a brow at him. "Oh really?" you humored.

"Yep!" He looked forward again, smile faltering a bit. "Ah, but... Right now, he's just stuck in a bathroom waiting for my subordinates to come pick him up."

So that's where he is... "But Kaito seems strong enough. Wouldn't he just be able to kick down the door or something?"

"Psh, did you really think that I didn't think about that? Don't worry, I made sure that he wouldn't be able to get out soon..."

You bit the inside of your lip a bit in concern, unsure about what he meant about that. Nevertheless, you brushed that off as you finally made it to the top floor of the academy building. You walked across the gigantic room to the door of your Ultimate lab. You opened it for Kokichi to walk through before entering yourself, walking in right whenever the morning announcement started to play.

You looked up at the monitor that was placed in your lab. It was just Monokuma there, saying the normal things. Even the announcements don't feel as... "lively" as before...

You looked back at Kokichi, who quickly looked back at you. "...We don't have a lot of time left," he said gravely.

"R...Right. We need to do as much as we can, then..." Shakily, you made your way over to the table and chairs.

Kokichi followed you, sitting down across from you and locking his eyes onto yours. Genuine concern was all that was in his eyes at the moment. "Are you going to be okay? Look, after all of the motivational stuff that you've told me... You can't just go back on your word."

"Sorry, sorry... Yes, I'll be fine. I'm just getting more and more nervous..."

The boy let out a deep breath, taking a moment to rack up his thoughts before opening his mouth to speak again. "So... Do you still have the card key?"

"Oh...! Yeah, I have it." You pulled it out of your pocket and placed it down on the table. "Didn't you say that you had an idea as to where we could use it?"