37

You arrived at the Shrine of Judgment. There was Gonta, Kokichi, Kaito, Kiibo, Maki, Himiko, and Shuichi... Something seemed off. "...Are we missing someone?" It just seemed so...empty.

"Yes... This would be everyone..." Tsumugi looked down and sighed. "This is just half of what we started with..."

"Because we've allowed this game to continue," Kiibo spoke up. "We must stop it somehow—"

"But we can't stop noooooooow!!! We can't let the fun end!" Kokichi chimed.

"C-Cut it out! I'm certain this trial will be the last one!"

"It... Yeah. It has to be..." You could just barely keep your voice from trembling.

"Let's focus on surviving this class trial first," Maki told everyone.

"Y-You're right... If we mess up here, our numbers will go down even quicker..." Tsumugi said, voice barely above a whisper.

"That might be okay," Kokichi spoke up with a smirk on his face. "Maybe that's just another way to stop the killing game. If we all die, then the killing game would end."

"Don't say stupid crap like that! It's pointless if we all die!" Kaito growled.

"Well...we don't have to worry. We've got the Ultimate Detective on our side," Himiko exclaimed.

A small bead of sweat formed on Shuichi's face. "I-I'll do my best..."

You looked at him with a tight smile before looking away. He's always so reliable and trusted...and helpful... You sighed.

"I know what you're thinking. You should really participate more in the trials, y'know?"

You only just then registered Kokichi hugging onto your arm. "(Y/NNNNN), Maki called me annoying!" the boy cried out.

You looked at him with concern, and looked over to the girl who was now standing next to Kaito. You could just barely overhear the male say, "Finally, that pest is gone. Thanks, Maki Roll." A low grumble erupted from you, albeit very quiet.

"Just ignore her."

The boy let out an exaggerated sigh. "I'll try... Hm..." He looked up at you, staring into your eyes. "Can I ask you a question?"

You tilted your head at him. "Um... Sure, go ahead."

"Do you trust me?"

"Kokichi, you keep asking me that question! Is there something wrong...?"

"Answer my question."

You gulped. With how ominous he seemed to be getting, you couldn't help the restless anxiety that started to grow inside you. "Yes," you whispered to him.

Kokichi then put on a mischievous smile. "Mm, that sounds like a bad move right there. But! You already said it, and now you have to stick to your word! Now, would you like for us to spit in our hands and shake them, or would you like for us to pinky promise and have me cut off your pinky?"

"The first one sounds gross, and the other one is just...n-no..."

Kokichi shrugged. "Eh, whatever."

Just at that moment, the Monokuma statue began to move until an all too familiar elevator was visible. You and the others reluctantly stepped inside... The ride to the trial grounds was eerily quiet. No one said a thing. It almost seemed like everyone was also making an effort to not breathe.

The elevator came to a stop after what seemed like an eternity. The doors opened, too slow but also too quick for your liking... Everyone walked out and stepped behind a podium.