29

"How brave..." you heard a quiet voice whisper at your side. You felt a bit better about your decision to speak up until Korekiyo started talking.

"Hmm? Whatever are you talking about?"

Your heart almost shattered upon hearing how calm he sounded. During this trial, you were trying to be more helpful, but now? Now...

"You finally decide to speak up, but it's literally at the worst time! Ah-HAHA!" He cackled like a maniac, having to wipe away some tears that had formed in the corners of his eyes. "You're the Ultimate Inconvenience, huh? It's a much better talent than the trashy, most retarded-sounding talent you said you have!"

"Yeah, I know..." you muttered under your breath.

"Heeeellooooo? Hello...!?"

You finally heard someone yelling at your side.

"EARTH. TO. (Y/N)!" You turned to the source of noise, seeing Kokichi making big motions with his arms. "Hey, are you even there?" He reached out one of his hands to grab onto yours in order to ground yourself from...wherever you were.

"Don't touch me!" you hissed at him. You were so quiet that only he could hear you. His violet eyes widened in surprise, but for some reason, you also felt that you could feel some concern for you seeping out of him.

"I was just trying to get you to answer Kiyo's question...!" Kokichi groaned at you. However, you could tell that he wasn't actually annoyed or anything like that... Or was it just you?

"Oh, um... Kiyo is...Tenko's...culprit...?"

"Why do you suspect me?" the male instantly responded.

"I believe that you were the one who drew the magic circle. The circle kept anyone from discovering the 'seesaw trick'... And, also..." You gulped, wondering if you were supposed to go on. You felt a nudge at your side, and quickly resumed. "And also, I picked up on some behavioral clues from where you weren't acting like you normally do... You've been quick to deflect blame from yourself onto someone else or you've broadened the way of thinking in order to include more possible suspects, and...other stuff that might be weird to explain."

"Kehehe... So you're relying on intuition now, hm?"

He's trying to screw you over, you thought to yourself. Yes, that's exactly it! If he's acting just like those other people that you had to interrogate, then you know for sure he's the culprit! ...Maybe. "It's not intuition. I observe, analyze, follow data patterns, and apply them to subject patterns... And either way, my point still stands."

Just like when I was working with...Mom... Oh, how much you wanted to bash your head against something, as if that would knock all of the unwanted memories out of your head.

"Well, Kiyo?"

"A-Answer already!" Himiko practically begged. "Did you do it!?"

"Kehe...kehehehe... Kehehehehehe..." His weird giggle soon turned into something more raspy and...deranged.

"...What is so funny?" Kiibo asked with an uncomfortable look on his face.

"So this is how each blackened must have felt. What an intriguing experience this is." He was holding himself awkwardly.

"What? An intriguing experience?" Tsumugi repeated.

"But if I am the culprit as you claim, then I stomped on the floorboard, yes? So, do tell..." He glared at you from under the shadows his hat made upon his eyes. "How could I have stomped on the floorboard during that darkened seance? Kehehe... Unless that is made clear, you cannot be certain I am the culprit."