36

"Daddy seems to really be enjoying that dirty word," Monophanie commented.

"...Mommy." Monotaro was furiously wiping away his tears.

"Okay, everyone!" Kokichi chirped. "Let's do this! I'll find the culprit this time, no matter what!" He winked at you.

"What are you being so cheery about!?" Himiko yelled at him.

The boy placed his hands behind his head and just smiled at everyone. "Well, what're you sad about? You guys hated her! Not as much as you hate me...but still!"

"I never wanted her to die," Kaito growled. "I wanted us all to escape together."

"Miu was certainly brash and spirited, but she wasn't a bad person," Kiibo commented. "Believe me, I had her perform maintenance on my body! So I know! I know...very well! Krgh... I want to cry, but I can't... I should have had Miu install a crying function!"

"Huh? Wouldn't your tears cause you to short circuit?" Kokichi inquired.

"Not at all. My body is completely waterproof."

A moment of silence passed...before Gonta spoke up.

"Urgh... Gonta no can forgive this. Gonta...never forgive this. Never forgive culprit, either..." All of a sudden he started to fume. "But Gonta never forgive self! Gonta swear to protect everyone! But Gonta fail to protect Miu! Gonta no could protect anyone again! Gonta is failure as gentleman!"

You walked up to him. "Don't feel bad... We may find out that you couldn't have done anything to help it," you whispered. "Just help as much as you can with this trial and that's the best that you can do." When he nodded at you, you took it as your cue to walk back near Kokichi...who was slowly creeping up beside Shuichi.

"Shuichi, don't carry the burden all by yourself," you heard Kaito say.

"Huh?"

"You're my sidekick! Don't forget. We're gonna do it together! If we work together, we can solve this—"

"No way, Jose," Kokichi butted in.

"Wha...What!?"

"Shuichi is the Ultimate Detective. So he's the most reliable person in a class trial, y'know?" he asked with a smirk. "Why would we let such an important person work together with a suspect like you?"

You gulped nervously, wondering if you should even be there. You tried to look at the small boy but at the time, it seemed like he was refusing to even glance at you.

Kaito's face darkened. "Suspect...?" he asked through gritted teeth. "You're saying that if I was the culprit, Shuichi would hide the truth to protect me? Bullsh*t! Don't underestimate Shuichi! Even if I was the culprit, he's the type of guy that'd see things through!"

Kokichi looked down to the ground. "But, remember Kaede's class trial—"

"He saw us through that, didn't he!?" the tall male barked furiously. "I believe in Shuichi!"

"Nishishi... You love to believe, don't you, Kaito?" A smirk grew on the little leader's face. "But that belief can turn against you, especially in this killing game, y'know?"

"Heh... I've got no idea what you're talking about... I don't get it at all..." He sighed in defeat. "Fine, if you're gonna get all worked up over it, then me and Shuichi won't team up."

"B-But..."

"Don't worry! It's just for now! But hearing him say all that... I can't stay quiet! That said, try to get through this on your own! Clear me of suspicion with your own power!"