ii: MANNERS OF A SHELBY

ACT: ONE
CHAPTER ii: ' manners of a shelby. '

           Eli Montgomery was not afraid to live her life without pausing to think about those with lingering gazes who whispered under their breaths about her

Eli Montgomery was not afraid to live her life without pausing to think about those with lingering gazes who whispered under their breaths about her. She preferred to live in her own bubble, never sparing a second glance to those who stared at her with foul faces and hushed words cast in her direction on the way to the Garrison.

She had always got a lot of attention, either from being a young, unmarried woman, being Small Heath's first and only non-codependent female businesswoman or simply for being the daughter of Eamonn Montgomery; a rumoured ex-IRA member from the great Irish city of Derry — who was forced to escape to British soil with his wife, Marie, when things went south back home. To say she was used to the unprovoked attention would be a severe understatement.

As her mother had once told her, it was better to let them stare and gossip all they like because in truth, they were just 'jealous ole bastards looking to chit-chat'. Eli, for a first, listened to her advice — not once did she feel insecure with all those extra eyes on her as she strutted down the street, lifting her cigarette to her mouth and inhaling deeply.

A man in his late twenties that stood with his wife, preparing to leave the house and get their suitcases in the car, stopped and gaped in complete awe as he watch Eli — particularly, the way her cheeks hallowed around the cigarette before she withdrew it from her lips and slowly let the smoke ascend into the air. It didn't take long for his wife to follow his gaze and smack him on the arm for gawking at Eli Montgomery of all people.

The blonde didn't even notice the two as she turned down onto Garrison Lane and quickly found the pub with a group of men standing smoking and drinking outside. She didn't hesitate to pass them, throwing her finished cigarette on the ground before going for the door.

Stepping inside, it was hard to miss the birthday girl who was twirling around wildly to a jig with another girl Eli didn't recognise. The smile on Ada's face never wavered as she danced to her favourite song.

"Eli!" A ten year old Finn was quick to spot the Montgomery girl and leave his place at the bar beside Arthur to run over to her.

Polly brought him with her on occasion to the dress shop and Eli adored the kid ever since he accidentally spilt the beans that he had a crush on Eliza's little sister, Mila. Eli chuckled as the boy ran forward to hug her legs and she returned the hug with one arm, holding a bag with Ada's present in the other. "Alright, Finn. How's it going, kid?"

"Great! Come on, Arthur said he'd let me play a drinking game!" The boy yelled quite loudly causing Arthur's head to shoot up in alarm.

"I said no such thing!"

The blonde laughed at the two. Arthur glared at his little brother for telling the whole pub he was encouraging underage drinking, not that he minded the strangers hearing. It was Polly he didn't want overhearing, he knew she would wring his neck like a cloth if she did. Finn pouted and childishly stomped his foot in annoyance. "But you said—"