xxi. OOH, AH, UP THE-

ACT: THREE
CHAPTER xxi: ' ooh, ah, up the—! '

           The door closing behind her echoed through the previously silent house

The door closing behind her echoed through the previously silent house. Eli locked it with her key swiftly behind her and paused at the usual quietness. It set her on edge, wondering why her mother and the twins weren't home. She stayed still, waiting for a cough, a yell or even footsteps to fill the empty space but nothing came.

Just as she took a step forward to carry on into the living room, the sound of movement in the kitchen rushed towards her. She halted, eyes unblinking as she stared at the bottom of the hall where the kitchen door was left tilled, a small slit of light fleeing onto the dark floorboards. She was all but silent, the loudest noise being the sharp quickening of her breathing and the sound of her pulse deafening her eardrums.

Eli wasn't stupid. She wasn't going to call out and greet the uninvited guest. No, for all she knew this was Byrne back from the grave to haunt her for his untimely death by the hands of the Shelby patriarch. Or maybe it was one of his comrades over from the front lines of Armagh to inflict vengeance down upon her for "treason" as Malachi had put it.

Instead she glanced at the small table beside the door where she'd left one of the fireplace rods in case trouble came to the door. She'd done it after Byrne's threat and she couldn't have been more grateful that she did. Her pale hand stretched out to grab it as her other hand slowly dropped her shopping bag down to the ground. It seemed God was on her side as neither action drew no more volume than a sewing needle piercing through fabric.

The next challenge was getting to the kitchen door without the floorboards croaking loudly through the old house. More sound grew from the kitchen and managed to conceal the small squeaks from Eli's approaching footsteps and she paused by the door as her heartbeat pounded violently in her head.

Finally, she pushed it open with her spare hand and prepared to swing the metal rod down on the person standing with his back to her. Unfortunately, he saw her reflection in the window facing him and spun around to catch it in his hand before she could hit him with it. "What the fuck are ye doing, Eli?!"

Wide blue eyes met narrowed blue eyes and Eli breathed in relief as she practically through herself into her father's arms. "You're back!"

Eamonn huffed in response, patting her on the back with a roll of his eyes. "Yeah, I'm back five feckin' minutes and ye already near took my head aff."

Eli pulled back with a teary smile. "Sorry?"

He sent her an unamused look in response. "Where's ye'r mother and the girls?"