ix. PRICY PILLOW TALK

ACT: ONE
CHAPTER ix: ' pricy pillow talk. '

           The tension in the Shelby family kitchen couldn't have been cut with a knife

The tension in the Shelby family kitchen couldn't have been cut with a knife. It was not as thin nor soft as a slice of cake. No, this tension was as hard as frozen ice, solid like the finest metalwork and stretched on for days, it's longitude seemingly never ending.

Eli hadn't known what to expect when she decided to take matters into her own hands and force Ada to confront her with whatever it was the brunette needed to ask her. Despite, the blonde trying to get Tommy to budge on his "Ada's business is not my business" attitude in the car when she'd asked him what it was Ada had been wanting to ask the Montgomery girl, he hadn't given anything away. Although, Eli suspected he had simply been reciting what Ada had told him. She got the feeling the dry humour in his voice had been more than he initially let on.

Ada, despite Tommy telling Eli the Shelby girl wished to speak with her a fortnight ago, had been all but evading Eli's presence like the black death which, in turn, only doubled the blonde's confusion and curiosity. It didn't help she couldn't fathom any possible reason that would lead the younger girl to avoid her. But alas, the curiosity had slowly turned into a strong itch in the back of Eli's mind until she could no longer ignore it — hence, the reason she asked Tommy for a lift to their house.

She was determined to get answers and the Shelby sister was no longer able to escape Eli's interrogative stare, sitting across from her at the kitchen table while Polly prepared them some tea. Eli barely blinked, observing Ada's posture, eyes cast down at her hands fidgeting under the table.

What on earth made her so anxious to be in Eli's presence?

Tommy had all but left Eli to her own devices as soon as the pair had stepped into the household. He headed straight for the back rooms connecting to the betting shop, never sparing Eli a fleeting glance whereas the blonde made her way to the kitchen where she found Polly and Ada whispering like two gossiping hens. Of course, they both went silent upon realising another soul had entered through the doorway. Polly had greeted her warmly, as per usual... Ada, however, seemed to pale at the sight of the Montgomery woman and spontaneously choose to take a holy vow of silence.

So when Polly finally joined them at the table and kindly poured their tea for them, Eli was eager to be the first to address the elephant in the room. "Tommy says you had something to ask me, Ada." She paused and noted the way Ada nervously flickered her eyes between Polly and herself. "You've also been avoiding me... Am I suppose to guess why?"

Polly sent Ada a pointed look, encouraging her niece to hurry up and confess. But Ada quickly glanced away from the two, avoiding both their gazes in hope the ground would swallow her up before she had the chance to open her mouth. Polly sighed and rolled her eyes at the young girl. Deciding to take matters into her own hands, she turned to Eli herself and answered for the brunette, "Our Ada was thinking of getting herself a job so she was—"