xiv. THE BELFAST COPPER

ACT: TWO
CHAPTER xiv: ' the belfast copper. '

           The loud yells of protest that ran into the shop when the door opened was enough evidence for Eli to identify the man at the door as the infamous Chief Inspector Campbell

           The loud yells of protest that ran into the shop when the door opened was enough evidence for Eli to identify the man at the door as the infamous Chief Inspector Campbell. Even if it wasn't, then the sheer amount of toxic masculinity and conceited pride laced in the well-past middle-aged man's aura surely was. A simple glance up and down his statue as he wandered into her shop told Eli all she needed to know about the man.

Somehow, she managed to subdue the flare of her temper at the fact he had the audacity to walk in uninvited after everything he'd done to her family. Now wasn't the time to act on anger, not yet anyway. First she needed to find out his reasoning for visiting her shop in the first place.

"And here was me thinking it was too early to anyone to call in and see me." Eli smiled through gritted teeth, silently pondering whether it looked as forced as it felt.

"Let's cut straight to the chase, Miss Montgomery. I know you and you know me..." he took joy in the way her face fell, left blank, hiding away the trances of resentment behind a well-enforced neutral mask. "I have reason to believe ye were in business with a local gang called the Peaky Blinders. Now what's a pretty gal like you doing working with criminals?"

Eli held back the snarl that threatened to leave her lips at hearing such words leave his corrupt mouth. She would have given her right arm to un-hear the Inspector call her a pretty gal. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

"No?" Campbell mocked, grinning as if they were old friends and she'd just made a lame joke about their wild pastimes. "I must say, as the eldest daughter of a wanted IRA man, you certainly do sound a lot like him. Denying your crimes won't be able to save you, nor will it him when I get my hands on 'im. Speaking of, I must pay a visit to ye'r house and see if he's in for a yarn."

Eli's eyes darkened at the mention of the vile man before her getting within an inch of her sisters and her mother. "You must have a death wish, Inspector. Every man in Green Lanes wants your blood, you'd be dead before you even reach my doorstep."

"Ah, you might be right. Besides, I heard Eamonn ran away again before I even stepped foot off the train. Must be tiring for 'im, always running from the law. He's made a nasty habit of fighting for terrorists, hasn't he?"

This time, the sneer was unstoppable as it crept onto her face.

Her pulse rang in her ears and her hands clenched into fists in an attempt not to act out of turn. Just one wrong move was all the ammunition Campbell needed to have her locked up for assaulting a member of his Majesty's Royal Constabulary. Of course, this was all a game to him. He wanted her to be emotional and lash out; he was counting on it.