xxiv. ALL THE KING'S MEN

ACT: THREE
CHAPTER xxiv: ' all the king's men! '

           It was long into the wee hours of the morning that Tommy returned home

It was long into the wee hours of the morning that Tommy returned home. The house was quiet, Arthur and John were still passed out in the booths of the Garrison; Ada was once again at her husband's side, tucked in bed with a smile on her face; and Polly was asleep upstairs after sharing that bottle of champagne with him in the pub. Grace's champagne.

His mind and body was exhausted after the day he'd had. The betrayal of Grace Burgess selling them out to the coppers followed by the peace of the soldier's minute as he had one last drink before the shovels attacked his ears again. The heavy guilt of Danny Whizzbang taking a bullet meant for him and the shooting Billy Kimber in the head thereafter. All of it: noise. Loud and unrelenting. Shovels hitting dirt, metal chopping away at the soil, chest panting from the lack of oxygen reaching him that fall down the tunnels. He'd hoped coming home would free his mind of that feeling. But no, every second of Tommy Shelby's life was a war of it's own after France. Bullets, bombs, death — they were all the same as breathing to a man like Tommy.

He had a lot of experience with the spoils of war but what he didn't have experience with was betrayal; deep betrayal that came from somewhere he'd never expected it. The visit he'd just paid Grace was for nothing but closure. He needed to see her one last time; glimpse in the traitor's eyes and refuse to bestow on her those three words she wanted to hear. Truly, he didn't know if he did love her. Even if he didn't, in that exact moment he still felt like he was coming down from the high of his life. Be it because of Grace, Danny, Kimber or something else.

To his surprise, he walked in the kitchen to see Pol, Finn and him were not the only occupants in the Shelby house. Eli Montgomery was a face that had bombs going off in his stomach at the mere sight of her leaning back on her chair, with a cigarette between her fingers and a daze look behind her eyes; a consequence of the amount of alcohol she'd consumed in the party in the Garrison.

Her arctic blue eyes flashed up to him, slowly taking him in as if she was waiting for the moment he'd faded away and she could confirm his figure was a distortion of her liquor induced mind. She brought her cigarette up to her lips slowly, savouring the smoke that fell down into her lungs and when she concluded he was actually there in the flesh, she spoke firmly, "Thought you would've been passed out in the bar by now. You're supposed to be celebrating."

"Can't I celebrate here?" Even in Tommy's poor state of mind, he was able to come up with a quick comeback. A little touch of energy sprouting to life as his body prepared itself to stay awake a little longer.

"You can do whatever you like." A bitter feeling washed over Eli in her drunken state and Tommy noted the lack of her usual lazy smile she normally tossed towards him.