v. FAMILY DINNERS, PLUS ONE

ACT: ONE
CHAPTER v: ' family dinners, plus one. '

           Polly simply didn't walk into the restaurant

Polly simply didn't walk into the restaurant. She paraded in like she owned the damn place and everyone else in it. It seemed now that her purse was a whole ten pounds heavier that she believed the world truly did owe her something.

The rest of the Shelby clan and Eli followed after her, each rolling their eyes at the fact Polly's smirk had yet to drop since she found out the horse she bet on had won the race. The woman hadn't stopped boasting about it since.

"Get me a bottle of champagne boys," their aunt threw over her shoulder, "I'm planning on celebrating tonight."

Tommy exchanged a look with Arthur behind her back before he strode ahead of the sinfully prideful woman to talk to the waiter. "Reservation under Shelby."

The man stiffly nodded and clasped his hands in front of his neat uniform. "Right this way, sir."

"Jesus, Tommy. How'd you afford a place like this?" John gaped at the mere show of polite manners — he wasn't even sure the restaurants back home in Small Heath knew the definition of manners.

"Are they eating snails?" Eli whispered in disgust, leaning towards Ada while they followed behind the boys and Polly.

Ada made a noise of disgust which, in turn, gained them a number of odd looks but they only shared a quick laugh with each other before brushing them off.

"Fuckin' hell, Tommy." Arthur ran his eyes over the other tables as they slid into a large booth.

Tommy didn't look up at him first, trying to light his cigarette with a match before he glanced back up to see the questioning gazes of the table. When he did, his face held a little amusement. "I told you put on your best clothes, didn't I?"

"You didn't tell us we'd be dining like fuckin' kings," John muttered under his breath, stretching his arm out over the back of the seats, but more importantly — behind Eli who was reluctantly sat beside him.

She flashed her bright blue eyes to him and he smirked, thinking she'd finally given in to his charm. "You have two seconds to move your arm before you lose it."

Ada and Arthur were both grinning wildly at how John's face fell, his smirk wavering in uncertainty. While Tommy took another draw from his cigarette and watched the exchange with the rest of them.

"Oi, do as your told, John. I'm not having any blood shed tonight, ya hear me?" Polly snapped, leaning across the table from where she sat between Ada and Arthur. "We're in a nice place for once. Don't fuck this up."