xv. BURN THE KING!

ACT: TWO
CHAPTER xv: ' burn the king! '

           Rose and Eli were sitting in the kitchen kneading bread when the door went

           Rose and Eli were sitting in the kitchen kneading bread when the door went. The two sisters stilled immediately, meeting each other's eyes from either side of the table with unsaid trepidation. Eli felt her heart leap to her throat and she swallowed hard to rid herself of the uncomfortable feeling. Her hand reached for dish towel to wipe the four from her palms as she rose from her chair, her actions slow and deliberate as to avoid making too much sound. The pain that echoed through her bruised and battered body from the amount of effort and stress it took to do so had her biting down harshly on her lip, rough enough to draw blood. She was supposed to be recovering after all.

With the threat of Campbell and his men, Marie Montgomery had went over to one of the men's houses to inform them of the events that had occurred in Eli's shop. Mainly, she went over to scream at them for failing at protecting her eldest daughter in Eamonn's absence.

She'd left her three children under house arrest and told them she wouldn't be too long, and in the meantime, not to answer the door to anyone. To pass the time Eli had suggested they make bread but Mila had quickly retreated to bed as soon as their mother went out the door, refusing to partake after calling baking boring and leaving her sisters alone in the kitchen.

In the deafening silence, broken by the second round of knocking, Rose looked to her older sister for guidance, wide blue eyes full of fear and growing tears. Whereas Eli silently cursed, praying that Mila was sound asleep and wouldn't make any noise as she reached for the revolver tapped under the table. It was her father's "safety gun" (—which her mother has surprisingly agreed to without much of a protest), only to be used in dire situations.

Eli thought it was safe to assume now was a good time to use it.

Moving towards the door, she ignored the frantic shaking of Rose's head as she pleaded with the hanging cross of Jesus over the sink for Rose to stay in the kitchen with her. Her slippers never made a sound as she inched towards the front door, gun slowly raising from her side the closer she got to it. Who would be on the other side of it? Inspector Campbell? A protestant Special from Ireland with a personal vendetta against her family? Only God knew at that point...

One thing Eli hadn't anticipated was Mila's springing figure bouncing towards the door and twisting it open quicker than Eli could even react. "Mila!" Her yell of protest was futile — the door was already unlocked and Eli had no other choice but to hold her breath in horror as it swung back to reveal their late night visitor.

But the pain in her chest was quickly replaced with a fairly dramatic sigh of relief at the sight of Finn Shelby standing on their doormat. However, the sense of ease was short lived as she quickly stormed forward and yanked Finn inside, slamming the door shut again with the brute of her entire body weight. "Finn, what the fuck are you doing here?!"