xvi. BLACK BLOOD GYPSIES

ACT: TWO
CHAPTER xvi: ' black blood gypsies! '

           With Eli's ribs on the mend and the shop slowly but surely being repaired by her father's few remaining friends, and with Ada's pregnancy shock and Polly's skepticism about her man coming back home to help her raise it, Ada and Eli fanc...

           With Eli's ribs on the mend and the shop slowly but surely being repaired by her father's few remaining friends, and with Ada's pregnancy shock and Polly's skepticism about her man coming back home to help her raise it, Ada and Eli fancied themselves a well-needed day out to the movie house.

During the advertisements, the two woman made a brief pinky promise not to talk about anything too personal. Both agreed to leave their personal affairs untouched in order to enjoy their limited time of peace and quiet away from their families. Therefore, Eli was forbidden from asking anything concerning the baby and Ada was forbidden from asking about the incident with the new coppers.

Although, Eli had spent the first ten minutes of the film spaced out, trying to figure out in her head who the hell the father could be. But she'd only managed to double her initial confusion when she realised she was as lost as to what was happening in the movie as she was to who Ada had slept with.

Unfortunately for them and the other moviegoers, they wouldn't be getting to see how it ended. The sound of the double doors opening and the light from outside interrupting their movie was the first sign of that...

Eli was puffing away on a cigarette when Ada nosily glanced around to see who it was. The sight of the familiar face and fancy suit had her turning back around in her seat with a dispirited sigh.

The blonde furrowed her eyebrows at the other woman's behaviour before casting a look of her own over her shoulder, only to see a stoney faced Thomas Shelby searching the seats for someone. She was quick to guess the special visit was something to do with Ada's recent discovery that she was knocked up with some Brummies kid.

God only knew how well this conversation would go...

Ada felt Eli's hand slip into her own, even despite the stickiness from the brunette hogging the popcorn for the majority of the film, and she squeezed gently to let her know the comfort was much appreciated — especially when Tommy found their row.

Tommy sighed himself as he sat down on Ada's other side, keeping his stormy eyes focused on the screen as if he was actually there to watch the film like the rest of them. But his mind was running far too fast for him to actually interpret the moving images and his ears ran like war bells, his pulse as quick as the wild wind outside.

He didn't spare his sister a glance, nor did he greet the dressmaker beside her. He was too preoccupied with keeping his temper at bay. It felt like he was trying to sooth a war-shocked horse from the sounds of the bombs going off around them; his efforts had some but little effect and he could felt the reins slipping his tight grasp with every fleeting second that passed. "Tell me the man's name, Ada."