viii. TEN MORE DAYS

ACT: ONE
CHAPTER viii: ' ten more days. '

           "Do my eyes deceive me or is that fuckin' Thomas Shelby standing on my doormat?" Tommy barely managed to keep his face in check, fighting to remain impartial at the sour look on Marie Montgomery's face, looking him up and down like he w...

"Do my eyes deceive me or is that fuckin' Thomas Shelby standing on my doormat?" Tommy barely managed to keep his face in check, fighting to remain impartial at the sour look on Marie Montgomery's face, looking him up and down like he were no more than a whore at the corner of the street.

"It is the very man, in the flesh." He greeted nonchalantly. "I'm looking for Eamonn."

Her eyes narrowed in suspicion and silent fury. "What the fuck is the bastard doing that you are concerned with?"

"I believe that is between me and him, Mrs. Montgomery." Tommy answered vaguely. There weren't many that had the patience to speak with the woman and he certainly didn't have the time of time to listen to her moan about how much she loathed his family name. He was starting to regret coming to see Eamonn in his home, perhaps he should have just waited to catch him on the way to work.

"Marie, let the feckin' lad in, would you?" Eamonn grumbled as he walked down the hall towards the pair. He arched an eyebrow at his wife as she turned to glare at him.

Tommy watched in slight interest as the married couple stared in defiance of each other. It seemed neither were willing to back down; the ferocious glare of Marie burning holes into Eamonn's bored and challenging look. He barely flinched when she reached up and stole the cigarette balancing between his lips before storming up the stairs to go dress the twins for the day.

The older man sighed, deflated at the repetitive nature of his wife's antics. Running a hand over the ginger scruff on his chin as he sidestepped and gestured for Tommy to enter. "Sorry 'bout her. Come on in, son."

Stepping over the threshold, Tommy entered the Montgomery household and turning back to Eamonn who quickly shut the door and lead him through to the kitchen. The Shelby followed shortly after, observing the decor curiously as he did.

"So, business, huh?" Eamonn mused, taking his seat at the kitchen table and lighting up a cigarette.

Tommy unclasped his hands in front of him to take the seat across from him, pulling out his own cigarettes from his coat pocket as he did. He stuck one between his lips, only to look up to see Eamonn already offering him his matchsticks. "Business indeed, Eamonn." He said after lighting the end of the stick.

The older man watched him with cautious eyes, dragging on his nicotine stick until his lungs were full of smoke. "The boyo's down at the pub said I should watch my back. You know what that means for a guy like me, kid?"