Chapter One

Chapter One: Tracker

        My claws dig into the muddy ground, giving me some grip to continue running. I can hear a series of wolves running behind me, too slow to keep up with my small form that is built for speed. I lift my head up as a scent tickles my nose. Blood.

        I let out a growl, enjoying my hunt. This male wolf attacked one of my pack members and killed another. He doesn't deserve to live. He's a rogue, the type of wolves that go against Wolf Laws and kill with no mercy. They are nothing like the nomads, the wolves with no pack, but are full of peace.

       His scent of mud and fire smoke becomes stronger as my ears twist forward. I can hear the wolf ahead of me, possibly around eighty feet. I know this land like the back of my paw, it's my job to know so. I'm a Tracker for my pack, I help hunt rogues down and find missing members.

        I am highly skilled in my pack, having a stronger sense of smell, hearing, and being built for speed. I have Tracker blood in me. Also known as Runt blood since most trackers are small and a little less than half of them are runts.

        I crouch into a hunter's crouch as I run under low branches and around the thick trunks of trees. My squad mates have to detour around some of the trees, them being a third larger than my size. I am slightly larger than the usual runt, but I'm still a runt none-the-less.

        My gold eyes focus on the big wolf in front of me, his dark gray fur helping him hide in the shadows. Not for long, I think to myself, sliding under a thick patch of leafed plants.

        The wolf continuously slows his running, his one hind leg held up in pain. Pain from a bite mark that gave him.

        I slow my running as the wolf slows down, not having heard my light steps behind him. He turns around with his ears straight up in alert. His ears twitch around, listening for the sounds of the wolves that were chasing him. "He thinks he lost us," I tell the squadron. "Slow down and keep your steps silent, I can easily hear yours from where I am."

        I feel annoyance and small growls of irritation run down the mind-link. These wolves don't exactly like a runt telling them what to do, but with the Squad Leader in the pack hospital, and me being Second in Command, they have to.

        Though, the fact that a runt like me is a better tracker, does rile them up, of course. "Cayden, Daniel, run behind me to the right of the wolf. We need to block him in," I tell two of my squad members, making sure they understand my orders. "Samantha, Marissa, head to the left. Conner, follow behind Cayden and Daniel and continue to the other side of that creek behind him. I'll follow up front. When I send the signal, slowly close in. I'll keep him distracted."

        A series of 'Yes, ma'am,' or 'You got it S.C.' flows through my conscious. Though some of them dislike the fact that I'm a runt, I am a higher rank than them. I listen to every voice as I keep my eyes focused on the wolf in front of me who is currently taking a rushed drink out of the creek. I am so happy that my scent is so easy to cover up, I think to myself.

        One of the highlights of being of runt blood is that my scent is twice as weak as a normal wolf's, meaning it is much easier to blend in if I cover myself with various scents located in this part of the forest.

        I bend down as I walk diagonally to where the wolf stands, not wanting to be caught easily and focusing on staying out of sight.

        "We are in position," Cayden states. I look to the right of me and barely spot the two crouched low behind a patch of thorn bushes. Good thing they've already masked their scents.  They're a bit too close.