Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:  Tests

        I stand behind the group of trackers, waiting for the King to come and explain what will be happening. The doors open, and as Azrael suggested, are wolves running. I ignore the urge to roll my eyes as I spot Conner among them. He was always late when it came to training or joining us to hunt a rogue.

        I have no idea how he got chosen to come. I huff as I stare ahead of me, ignoring the looks of the teenage girls in front of me. The oldest must be no older than twenty, only a year older than me.

        This group of girls easily get jealous and tend to talk down to those below or above them in skill and rank. When I had to train with them when I was younger, they always tried to pick on me because I am a runt. And the fact that I am a better tracker than them.

        They're from squadrons four and five. They're not the best wolves, though my Alpha put them into a higher skilled squadron to most-likely train them harder and shove away those jealous tendencies.

        I've heard that at least two of the six girls managed to ruin a rogue hunt and talk down to their Squadron Leader and Second-In-Command. They ended up receiving extra training hours and sparring with higher-ranking wolves, including the Alpha's son.

        I ignore them, knowing that they are spouting crude things about me with each-other over mind-link. If they knew how to wolf bond, I doubt they'd use it as majority can't do it.

        A strong aura overfills the room and I immediately bow down. I kneel with my right knee on the ground, and put my right hand over my heart. My throat is on display to show my submission, and out of the corner of my eyes, I can see everyone else doing what I am doing.

        The group of teenage girls beside me are fully showing their throats and are lower than me, unable to be any higher from the Alpha King's powerful aura. Through mind-link, I can sense him walking towards Azrael.

        I get a glimpse of Azrael, though his head is only bowed deeply. I know he respects his uncle, though he does not feel the immense power he has and does not need to submit. Not like I feel that much overwhelming power, my mind points out.

        It's true, though. I can feel how powerful their auras are, and it does make me want to bow in respect, though it does not want me to shift and bare my belly up to them nor does it make me want to bare my throat to them. A full submission.

        Leah told me that the power from a lot of high-ranking wolves together is so overwhelming that even normal pack wolves can't help but shrink down and bare their throats.

        Though I've been with high-ranking wolves a lot in my life, especially after catching a rogue, and it wasn't so overwhelming that it made me show my belly to them. Even when I first started out.

         My parents, one of the only wolves to know so, thought it weird. They knew what the power felt like and was slightly overwhelmed by it, though I didn't feel any of it. They chose to keep it secret, and I listened to them. Only Leah knows.

        "Rise," the Alpha King booms, his voice holding order and respect. He didn't fill it with power, or else many of the wolves in here, mainly the runts, would have shifted. I wait a few seconds before standing from my bow. My eyes meet Azrael's and his face is stoic. I tilt my head slightly and he shares his emotions with me.

        Annoyance, contempt, and dislike. I think over what just happened, though I feel no reason for him to feel such emotions. All I had done was submit to my King, what else would cause such emotions?

        I shove the thoughts for later and look in the King's direction. He's dressed like Azrael, though has his suit jacket and he doesn't have a crown on his thinning head of hair.

        "You all have chosen to join me in the search of a dangerous rogue and those who follow him. This rogue has been attacking packs in this kingdom and has been targeting my pack. The Regal Fangs pack," the Alpha King says, immediately drawing the attention of the wolves in the room, including the group of teenage girls beside me.

        "And for that," he says. "I thank you. You all know that there was a choice to stay at your pack, yet you chose to come. Whether it was to help your Kingdom, your parents pushed you to do it, to find a mate while you travel, or for a new start in life. Thank you." Everyone is speechless as out King thanks us. I knew he was a kind man, though I never thought he would actually thank us.

        By the shocked looks on everyone's faces, I can tell they didn't expect it either. I nod at him, my silent "You're welcome". We continue to stare up at him, wanting to know the other reason for being here.

        "Now," he starts off, his voice still booming and drawing attention. "There will be trials taken with each wolf in here. You will be tested on your strength, stamina, speed, hearing, sense of smell, and how quickly it takes you to hunt a wolf.

        "These tests will take place over the next three days. On the first day, you will be tested on strength and stamina. On the second will be your sense of smell, speed, and hearing. And, on the final day will be the simulation of hunting a wolf.

        "Further details will be given before all events happen. The fourth day you will be given your squadron number and your leader's name. Make sure to have all necessities packed." He stresses the word, giving a pointed look to the group of female wolves in front of me.

        My lip twitches upwards lightly and I can feel Azrael's amusement. His lips have a small curve to them, a sure sign of his amusement towards the squirming of the teenage girls in front of me.

        "I suppose you saw their hateful glares?" I ask him, my voice holding slight amusement. His face sours slightly and I can tell he doesn't like the fact that people don't like me or even hate me just because I am a runt and am a better tracker than them.

        "Yes," he tells me, his voice curt. "I saw them." His voice is rougher, despite the fact that he speaking through mind-link. I shake my head slightly and focus on the King.

        "All of you will either joining existing squadron who need more wolves or will join the twenty new squadrons. Some of you will be staying here and waiting while the other two packs come and are tested as well.

        "Some squadrons will be staying and training as they are newer while awaiting the other packs." I nod as the King explains the rules and what will be happening.

        It makes complete sense. Other wolves, most likely the more experienced and more skilled, will be sent out on the fourth day, while the inexperienced and less skillful will be trained in new squadrons or existing squadrons with a few wolves in it.

        "If you all understand these rules and terms, I'll let you all go. You can explore the village and dine at some of the pack houses or eat at some of the restaurants." Waiting a few moments for wolves with any questions, the King walks out of the dining hall.

        I immediately walk towards Azrael, who spots me in the crowd of wolves eager to eat. Using my skills and short stature, I slip between wolves and meet up with him. "What would you like to do?" I ask him through mind-link, making it easier for him to hear me.

        These wolves still do not understand the mechanics of mind-linking. "I have a place in mind," he tells me, grabbing my hand and pulling me out a different exit than we entered.

        He's walking swiftly, though it's easier for me to catch pace. "Where are we going?" I ask him aloud, my voice echoing around the desolate hallway. The ceiling is high and we must be in some part of the castle that leads to another separate part of the castle.

        I look out the large arched windows on either side of me and am surprised to see that we are many feet above a river. I look at Azrael, though he's still power-walking forwards. I shake my head at him as he replies to my question.

         "You'll see."

Author's Note:

Comment if you liked it and maybe even vote?