Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:  Pushy Wolf

        The male wolf is a little smaller than Azrael with dark fur. His limbs and face are a dark, nearly black, brown color while the rest of his body is a chocolate brown. Some spots around his shoulders are a very light tan color, as well as a line on his tail.

        His head is held high and his tail is swishing purposefully. His erect ears and highly raised tail shows his confidence as he trots towards us, his paws raised high. He looks like a show pony, I think to myself, gazing at him curiously.

        Azrael stops when he sees me looking at the wolf. He turns his head in the direction and lets out a low growl, standing taller with a high tail and alert ears. His body language doesn't exactly portray it, but his tense muscles show his aggression.

        I step away from him, looking at him cautiously. He continues staring at the wolf who stops about five feet away from us. The male fluffs up his mane, or scruff, of fur and stands tall. He flicks his ears around and gazes at my stiff form.

        I stand tall beside Azrael, my ears alert as well. My slightly twitching tail, though lowered, shows my caution. I flick an ear in curiosity and look at Azrael.

        "Hello," a foreign voice says to me through wolf-bond. Azrael hears it too, the one downside of the wolf-bond. It's like talking in human form. I flick my ears back at the wolf.

        "Good afternoon," I say to him respectfully. He takes a curious step towards me and Azrael's chest rumbles. The male wolf, as if seeing Azreal for the first time, sends him an annoyed look.

        "Hello, Azrael," the wolf mutters. "What are you doing here?" Azrael flashes his teeth at the wolf slightly, a clear sign that this wolf better stop his disrespectful behavior.

        "I am escorting this female tracker to the castle," Azrael coolly replies. His tone is like ice, though his pale green eyes look more so. The male wolf ignores the cold words and takes another step forward.

        "Why not let me escort her? I was just heading there." Does this male wolf think he can just speak as if I am not here? I flash my fangs at the wolf, a growl rumbling in my throat.

        "I am perfectly fine walking with Azrael," I tell the wolf, my voice just as icy as Azrael's. The male wolf gives me a surprised look, probably thinking that I can't speak through the wolf-bond.

        The male wolf fully ignores Azrael as he speaks to me. "Why not let me walk with you? I can help you with your... needs." He sniffs at the air and steps closer to me.

        I take a step back and bare my fangs. My chest rumbles in a snarl, though is not as loud as Azrael's. I look around us and see a few wolves walking in our direction, a curious, yet cautious look on their faces.

        Azrael steps in front of me and snarls lowly, his canines fully on display. "You aren't going anywhere with her." The male wolf takes a startled step back, and I can't help but be startled as well. Especially with the ferocity in his voice.

        I tip my head down in submission and whine. Azrael steps closer to me, looking down at me. His eyes soften as he looks at me, though they turn to ice as the male flashes his own fangs.

        I look around and see a lot of wolves walk towards us swiftly. Some in their fur forms, and some in their human forms. I see a large male step forward, power emitting in a thick fog. A Beta.

        "What's going on?" he says, narrowing his eyes at the two. Though, I can see him gaze longer at the male.

        Azrael bows down in respect, meeting my head in level. I had bowed as soon as I sensed him. "Beta Thorn," he says, confirming my suspicions. "Kace was trying to take advantage of this female in heat."

        I flick my ears in annoyance at his answer as I stand beside him. I don't put too much thought of it as I know he's only trying to protect me. Even if it makes me seem weak.

        Beta Thorn nods his head at Azrael and turns to the male wolf, Kace, and lifts an eyebrow. The male seems to freeze slightly before snarling at Azrael slightly.

        "He's lying," Kace says, his voice dripping with venom. "He was the one trying to take advantage of this female. I simply offered to walk her up to the castle before he interrupted." I ignore the urge to snarl at the wolf, though I do bare my teeth at him.

        The Beta turns to me after frowning at Kace. "What is your name, young wolf?" Beta Thorn asks me. I bow my head at him respectfully.

        "My name is Evergreen Raverik, Second-in-Command Tracker of Squadron Three of Whisper Howl. I was chosen to help with the rogue problem." My voice is emotionless, save for the respect. The Beta nods at me.

        "Will you tell me your side of the story?" he asks me. My ears pop up in shock. I didn't expect him to ask for my side of the story. I glance at Azrael before nodding at Beta Thorn.

        "Azreal and I were walking towards the castle when this male wolf walked towards us. We both stopped when he approached us. We exchanged hello's before he asked Azrael if he could escort me to the castle.

        "I spoke up to the wolf, saying I was fine with Azrael. He didn't get the hint and offered to help me with my heat. I flashed my fangs at him and snarled as he took another step towards me.

        "Azrael then stepped in front of me, snarled at the wolf, and told him I was going nowhere with him. That's when you arrived." My voice is emotionless as I report my side of the story to Beta Thorn.

        He nods at me before squinting at Kace. "Is what she says true?" he asks, his voice not portraying his silent fury.

        Kace flicks his ears back and glares at me. Beta Thorn, seeing the action, lets out a deep sigh. He flashes his fangs at Kace, who practically pins himself to the floor in submission.

        "When will you learn how to control your instincts, pup?" the Beta snarls. I bow down a bit at the snarl, though it doesn't frighten me.

        Kace just whines and looks up to the beta wolf, practically begging him not to punish him at all. I frown at the wolf. Had he done the what he did to me in my pack, he would've not only be doing omega duties for a few weeks but also would have been forced to sleep outside for a week.

        "How often does he do this?" I mind-link Azrael, wanting some semblance of privacy when speaking with him.

        "Too often," he mutters back, a snarl making his voice more guttural.

        Beta Thorn looks at us both, keeping tabs on Kace who's stood from his kneeling position. "You two are free to go," he says, his voice holding some semblance of warmth. "I'll make sure this pup gets dealt with."

        I nod at the Beta respectfully while Kace pins his ears back. I suppose he is used to getting let off, for whatever reason.

         Without a second thought, Azrael and I turn around and trot towards the large brick road, the castle coming into sight.

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to post an update, I was focusing on another book and school's just started!  I hope the double update will suffice for my lateness?