Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine:  Sweet Affection

        The rest of the dinner goes smoothly, with my father only lightly interrogating Azrael. Mainly due to the fact that his uncle is their Alpha. I know for sure that the next time we have time alone, Azrael's going to be traumatized.

        I rest my fork on our empty plate and look up at Azrael. "Do you want to go, now?" I ask him, knowing that he's most likely somewhat overwhelmed by my father's interrogation and my mother's harmless, but embarrassing questions.

        He gives me a soft nod and he stands up first, holding his hand out for me to grab. I smile in thanks before grabbing the glasses we were drinking out of. He grabs the plate and silverware, and with a kiss to my mother's cheek and a hug to my father, I lead him over to where we can dump our dirty dishes.

        No matter what rank you are, everyone is assigned a week to help out with the kitchen. It's usually done in groups of fifteen, so things can get done faster. The omegas are usually the one commanding the kitchen, having all authority there because it's their domain.

        Some wolves, specifically the higher ranking wolves, are annoyed by the omegas ordering them around, though they've got to deal with it. It's just the way around our pack. Everyone can pull authority on another wolf should they be in their domain, higher ranking wolf or not.

        The two of us walk hand-in-hand and we're still getting stares. I know it's not really affecting Azrael, mainly due to the fact that he's probably used to it from being the prince. However, I'm not too used to the stares as most people overlook me because I'm a runt.

        "You okay?" Azrael asks me as we head towards my room. I nod my head, though I can he doesn't believe me. We continue walking towards my room and I stand in front of my door, leaning my back against it.

        He just gives me a look and I sigh, my head thudding against the wood as I close my eyes. "I'm not used to the stares," I whisper, my hands fidgeting. "I'm used to people overlooking me because I'm a runt, but now that we're mates and my scent has changed, I'm getting more stares than I'm used to."

        I look up at him and he's giving me a soft look. "I never really thought of that," he tells me, looking down at his shoes. "I'm used to the stares because of my aura and my uncle being the king, I guess I never really thought about how you'd react to them."

        I shrug my shoulders a bit, shaking my head. "I'll get used to it," I tell him, grabbing the sides of his vest. "We are mates, after all."

        He rests his hands on the door on either side me and I'm happy that most people are still eating or are sleeping. He rests his head against mine and our nose brushes against one another.

        It's silent for a few moments and then: "Your parents are nice." I let out a surprised laugh at the sudden statement and he leans away from me, smiling down at me with his scrunched up eyes and dimple.

        "Thanks," I tell him, amusement making the words shaky in a giggle. "Though I suspect the word you are looking for is intimidating and embarrassing?" He chuckles and nods his head.

        "I didn't expect it, but I was actually scared. I respect them for that." I laugh at his statement softly.

        We just stand there like that for a few moments, laughing about nothing. I sigh softly, reveling at the moment without worries of rogues chasing us and when we're going hunting or what we're going to eat for the day.

        "I don't want to leave tomorrow, but we have to," I tell him in a groan, unlocking my door and gesturing for him to go in. I gather my clothes to sleep in and sit on my bed, kicking my shoes off.

        "I don't want to go either, love," he tells me, leaning against the door frame. "But we've got a job to do." I just throw myself on the bed, knowing that it's true.

        "I know," I tell him, closing my eyes. I pat the space beside me, not thinking about what I'm doing. "Pop a squat." It only takes me a second to realize what I said before my face is on fire and he's laughing. "Shut up," I grumble.

        He doesn't say anything and sits next to me, his body stiff. I pull him to lay beside me, enjoying the warmth coming off him. I curl into his side slightly, my head laying on his chest.

        My eyes flutter closed and my breathing begins to slow. "I'm going to have to leave soon," Azrael tells me, his voice in a whisper. It wakes me up somewhat and I throw an arm over him.

        "Do you have to?" I ask him, my voice soft in my exhaustion. We've barely gotten any sleep over the past few months, more so after the past few days. With the stress of not finding anything on the rouges, we had been getting less and less sleep to travel more ground.

        "I don't have anything to sleep in," he mutters to me, sitting up slowly. I point at my wardrobe.

        "Bottom two drawers have sweatpants in them. I stole them from my father," I tell him, not bothering to open my eyes. I had taken them from my father because they were comfortable to sleep in and he rarely used them.

        I hear the drawers open and I push myself off my bed. "I'm going to change," I inform him, barely able to look in his direction. He sends his acknowledgment down the link and I don't bother to lock the door behind me.

        I fold my clothing after slipping off the plaid pants and the long sleeved white shirt. I look down as I step out of the bathroom, not able to look at him. "Sorry," I tell him. I hear him walk up to me and he uses his fingers to lift my head upwards.

        "What for?" he asks me, his face holding confusion. I flush a bit.

        "For being clingy," I mutter. "I think my heat's coming soon." He chuckles softly.

        "It's fine," he says, walking towards my bedroom door and locking it. "We haven't mated yet, so it's natural to feel a bit clingy. This doesn't happen to just royal wolves, it happens to everyone."

        I sigh, nodding my head as I put my clothes away. I've only used them once, so I don't have to bother with washing them. "I know, I've seen a few of the wolves who marked each other and didn't mate right afterward be a bit clingy. I just hope it fades soon," I tell him. "We've got too much going on at the moment."

        "Me too, love," he tells me, lifting the covers for me to slip under. He jumps in after I'm settled. "I'm having a bit of trouble reining in my instincts."

        I nod my head at him, knowing he's referring to dinner and the sudden affection. All male wolves who are marked or courting feel very affectionate and the need to provide for their mates.

        It's understandable.

        "Thank you," I tell him softly. "For everything today." He just wraps his arm around me and I lay my head against his chest, my arm resting on his waist. His lips press against my head as my eyes slide shut.

Author's Note:

This chapter was honestly harder to write than I thought it was!  XD