Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four: Taking Charge

        Conner and I share a glance as we sprint through the forest. I take another good look at the area before looking at Azrael who's running beside me. "What are we doing at my pack?" I ask him, my voice showing my confusion.

        He looks at me out of the corner of his eye before huffing air out of his nose. "We're running low on supplies," he tells me, though I suspect that he's holding something back. I don't bother to try and pull it from him, knowing that it must be something important for him not to share it with me.

        I flick an ear as Azrael moves slows down and I go to do the same before he shakes his head at me. "You know this land better than we all do. You lead us in." My ears heat up at the prospect of leading the squadron, though I swiftly take lead.

        I lead us to areas that'll make it harder for the rogues to follow us to my pack. I know they're still following us and it'll cause trouble for my pack. "Alpha Quill?" I call down my pack's mind-link.

        I feel a little pressure on my skull and swiftly lower my walls, knowing that it's my alpha. "Ever?" he asks in surprise. "I can sense you near the borders. What are you doing here?"

        "My squadron and I need supplies, and we've got two rogues with us. Azrael was hoping that you'd help us." I keep my tone respectful but strong as I speak to my alpha, our relationship seeming to have changed. I don't bother to use Azrael's title, knowing that Alpha Quill will understand who I'm talking about straight away.

        "Of course, Evergreen. I'll tell the border wolves in that area that we're having some guests. Your journey shouldn't be hindered." I hadn't expected him to have opened up as easily as that, though we are the king's squadron.

        "Thank you, sir," I tell him shortly, closing down the link after that.

        "I've contacted Alpha Quill," I mutter down the link, my voice strong. "He's allowing us to enter the borders without trouble, though I suspect he'll want to talk to us about our two... guests." Azrael sends his appreciation down the link, though I feel some wolves are upset at me taking lead.

        I ignore them as I know that it'll be easier to go into the pack unnoticed since I've contacted him. And he is related to the king, after all.

        I scent the air periodically as I make different turns in order to find an area where we all can fit. The rogues don't bother pulling at the ropes we have tied to them. They know that if they try to make this harder for us or if they try to slow us down they'd be sore the next day.

        My pace and stance changes as we enter the border. We're running faster, though I hold myself high. Prideful. I don't know where this change has come from, though I suspect it has to do with the fact that I'm mated to Azrael.

        The scents of pack wolves become stronger the closer we get to the pack and I sneeze slightly, my senses on high power from spending so much time in my wolf skin. I push the strong scent away as we come closer to the pack house.

        I let out a small howl to inform Alpha Quill that we're here and I can easily scent him standing in the field. I allow Azrael to take the lead, though he just stands beside me. I bow my head in respect towards my alpha, and I see everyone else do the same. I don't feel the need to submit to him as I used to, so I don't do it.

        I stand tall beside Azrael as I stand barely an inch away from his fur. "Hello, Azrael," Alpha Quill says, nodding towards his nephew. "Ever, Conner." The both of us nod towards him in respect and I sense Conner submit to him. I don't do the same.

        Alpha Quill tilts his head to the side in curiosity as he sees that I don't submit to him. I also have the feeling it has to do with the fact that my scent has changed. He takes in a deep breath before a smile forms on his lips. "Congratulations," he tells us, looking between our two forms.

        I wag my tail slightly, though that's all I do. "Ever, you can go with Azrael to the cells to put away those rogues. Conner, you can show everyone to the guesthouse and you all can get cleaned up. Dinner will be served in an hour," Alpha Quill tells us, nodding his head and walking off.

        I pin my ears to my skull at the order, not liking the feeling that comes with it. I tilt my head to the side at the feeling of it, though I do as my Alpha says. He is my alpha, after all. I spin around and lead Azreal to our dungeons, my head held high.

        The two of us have been holding the rogues so we don't have to switch around ropes. I see a few of the pack give me a few odd looks, though I ignore them. The dungeons are located near the pack house in their own building.

        Majority of the holding facility, as most call it since they are also used for those who break rules, is located underground. The building is concrete and stands one floor above the earth. It spirals downwards where rogues are held.

        Azrael and I enter the room after being allowed through security. The wolf in the chair ahead of us swirls around in shock as he smells my scent. "Ever!" the older male, Benedict, says loudly. "I didn't know you were back."

        I nod my head at the wolf, appreciating his warm welcome. We know each other from when I'd have to lock rogues up after we catch them. "Hello, Benedict," I say respectfully, allowing Azrael to listen in. "We need one of the stronger cells you've got. Under no circumstances are you to allow these two wolves out. Do you understand?"

        My tone is serious and strong as I take lead, and I can tell it surprises those in the room. I don't sense any objections from Azrael as I take lead, though I suspect that I may have crossed the line. He's still the more higher ranking wolf, mate or not.

        Benedict stumbles over his words slightly at the sudden change in mood. "Y-Yes, Ever, Follow me. We've been strengthening a lot of the cells closer to the surface." I nod to the kind wolf and allow Azrael to follow after him.

        I don't feel the rogues tug on the rope, so I suspect they'll behave. For now.

        I allow myself to relax as the two are locked in the stronger cells. There are metal plates lining the walls, along with bulletproof glass. Just in case. I follow Azrael out of the building and start trotting in the direction of the pack house.

        There is no reason for me to stay in the guesthouse as I have my own room. "Where are you going?" I hear Azrael ask in confusion, looking in the direction of the guest house. My ears burn in embarrassment.

        "I've got my own room, remember?" I tell him, ducking under the doggy door that the alpha installed. It takes Azrael a few seconds to fit through the door, his form being larger than normal.

        I lift my muzzle in the room as I scent dinner cooking. My stomach rumbles as I realize this is the first time in a few weeks that I'll have cooked food. And not only cooked food but cooked food that I didn't catch.

        Azrael bumps into me, a wolfish chuckle escaping his throat. I mock-glare at him as I stop before my door. I slip off my bag without difficulty and shake put my fur. Happy to finally have the thing off me.

        I quickly shift with Azrael right behind me. I stretch, my body sore from not properly shifting in a while. I grab my extra key from atop my door frame and put it in the keyhole. I turn the key and my door clicks open.

Author's Note:

Well, I seem to have somewhat gotten over my writer's block.  I'm not sure if my updates will return to normal, though.