Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four: We're going to see each other soon

        I growl and bare my fangs at the wolves around me. Azrael stands beside me with his lips curled in a snarl. The witch had somehow detected us and we had been surrounded before we could do anything. We're standing on the edge of the valley and we'd get seriously hurt should they decide to push us off it.

        "When exactly are those reinforcements coming?" Azrael asks me, referring to the three warrior wolf squadrons that Alpha Quill should be sending us. My tail lashes in annoyance as I can't search down the mental pack bond to see where they are.

        "I'm too agitated to feel them through my weakening pack bond, but we're not too far out so they should be here soon," I tell him, snapping at a wolf that gets a little too close to comfort. These wolves are obviously rogues, and while they can deal a bit of damage due to the number of wolves present, they're skinny and their ribs are easily seen through their fur. If we weren't cornered and if there weren't as many wolves as there are, Azrael and I wouldn't have too much of a problem in fighting them off.

        "Hopefully sooner rather than later," Azrael comments, bending down with a flash of fangs. I back up a little bit as some of the wolves in front of me push forward, my heart picking up a rabbiting pace as my paw slips from the edge.

        "Azrael?" I call to him, causing him to glance at me swiftly. We make eye contact and I can see the silent thoughts in his eyes, telling me that we need to fight. He swiftly pounces on the wolf nearest him and before anyone can react, I pounce on the wolf in front of me.

        They hadn't expected us to attack them, especially with how outnumbered we are. I can hear the rest of the squadron growling out and yipping and I have a feeling that they're fighting, too.

        The wolf in front of me rears back at my swift pounce and it gives me enough access to his throat. I bite down as hard as I can and shake my head to rip his throat out. The metallic taste and scent of his blood washes over me as another wolf barrels into me.

        I let loose a low whine as I'm thrown into a rock, though I pick myself up and shake out my fur. The first wolf I attacked is on the ground and two more wolves are cornering me. I bare my blood-dripping fangs at them and growl deep in my chest, a warning for them to back off.

        My ear twitches to the side as Azrael's powerful snarl sounds beside me, causing the fur along my spine to spike. It's not the powerful dominance radiating king snarl, though it's packed with power. The two wolves in front of me bow down slightly with whines, though they shake it off as Azrael's snarl is cut off. The larger one immediately jumps at me, but I use my smaller size to my advantage, rolling under him and kicking at his underbelly, my sharpened claws easily cutting through the soft flesh. It doesn't help much as the smaller male immediately jumps at me.

        A huff of air along with a painful whine escapes my throat as his claws dig into my chest and leg. I yelp as he tries to bite at my throat, his teeth tearing my ear instead. I growl lowly and dig my teeth into his upper front leg, it right in front of me due to how much larger the wolf is to me.

        He snarls out and pulls back, his one hind leg tearing at mine. I hold back a whine and kick at his underbelly, rolling away and dodging the other wolf who's managed to recover from my kick. I throw myself farther away from the cliff edge, trying to make it so I don't get kicked off it. Before, I may have survived with little wounds, but now, there's a big chance that I'll at least break a leg and blackout should I fall.

        The weight of the one wolf pins me to the ground as his teeth dig into my shoulder, a sharp howl escaping my throat. I can still hear Azrael fighting, though by the sounds of it, he's doing a lot more whining than growling.