Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen:  Roommate

        I barely take any time to appreciate the interior of the entrance of the castle, though I can tell it's amazing. The flooring is white stone, while the walls are the same dark stone as the outside.

        I can see many portraits of wolves in both of their forms running along the length of the foyer, which is extremely long. Straight from the large doors of the castle, is a large archway. I can easily see the two large thrones at the end of the even larger room.

        I tilt my muzzle into the air and scent the cooking of beef and vegetables. I catch the other senses of various spices and pasta, and it all makes my stomach rumble. It's late afternoon, yet the last time I ate was this morning after hunting with Azrael.

        The wolf in question cocks his head towards me. I pin my ears back and look away sheepishly. He whips his tail at me, a rough chuckle rumbling through his chest. I whip my own tail at him as he turns down a hallway to the right of the foyer.

        "We're going to have to shift," Azrael tells me. I nod at him, though I become nervous. I know I'll have to shift, though I am unsure of what to wear. I didn't bring much in the terms of formal clothes, only three slacks, and three different shirts.

        "I assume that we will have to dress formal, yes?" I ask him, even though I know we will most likely have to dress that way. Azrael sends confirmation down the line as we pass numerous closed doors. I see a lot of wolves, in both forms, wearing the kingdom's colors. Castle workers.

        The ceiling of the hallway is tall while the halls are wide. By the various scents of wolves, I can tell that this is where most of the wolves are staying while waiting to see which rogue hunting group we will be in.

        I cock my head to the side and my tail twitches as we turn a corner and walk up a small staircase. I send my confusion down the bond, though I don't get a verbal answer. Just the same mischievousness from earlier.

        "Where are you taking me? I thought we just passed through the dorms?" Azrael doesn't answer me but does look at me with a wolfish grin. I huff and whip him with my tail.

        "My uncle didn't expect for there to be so many wolves to come with him. We still have two more packs coming with us as well. He suggested that since we spent the whole journey together that I share my living quarters with you." I pin my ears back and stop in my tracks.

        He stops as well and turns towards me, his ears pinned back and leans his head down as he feels my emotions. In truth, I don't mind sharing living quarters with him, though I do barely know him and no one asked me of my opinion.

        I let him feel my agitation and slight hurt full force and he whines. I stand tall and glare at him, though I don't bare my teeth at him. There is no reason to do so. He takes a small step towards me, but I don't react.

        He slightly whines again and crouches down. He crawls towards me and I pin my ears back. "I'm sorry," he tells me. His voice is full of earnest and I can tell that he truly means it. I tip my head down and lick his ear.

        "I know you didn't mean to block me off the decision, though it is hurtful that you did so. What if I wanted to have my own room because of my heat? What would have happened then, Azrael?" My voice is stern as I speak to him and I make sure to hide my anger. The only reason I'm angry is because he left me out of the decision.

        He stays crouched down, though wags his tail as I lick his ear. It's a universal sign of acceptance for apologies in the wolf body language. He slowly stands up as I stare at him, waiting for his answer.