Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Family Surprise

        I not only sense but hear the wolf as he follows behind me. He steps up beside me and I fall back a little, letting the more dominant wolf have control. My formal attitude is back as I pin my ears back a bit and bow my head.

        The Alpha King's second tilts his head to the side and flicks his ear in slight confusion. I can tell the ear flick is an unconscious thing he does.

        I let my emotions filter through the wolf bond and he can sense the change in my attitude. I let him feel my emotions on what just happened between us and I can tell that he understands that it is something that doesn't happen often.

        I flick my ear as he bows his head an inch. I can tell that it shows his respect, but I have no idea as to why he is showing respect towards me.

        I walk around a group of wolves to my left as he goes to the right. We meet again after passing the group. "Why did you bow your head at me?" I tentatively ask, afraid that I misread the sign.

         "You beat me in a race and I am usually the fast one. You deserve my respect," he rumbles down the bond. I tilt my ears back and move my head to the side in embarrassed shyness, a foreign feeling to me.

        My ears flush pink as I feel his chuckle run down the bond. I can also feel it as he lightly presses against me. If I crouch down a bit, I would be able to fit under him, though he would have problems walking properly.

        I edge away from him a bit as we approach the Alpha King. I stand a few feet away from him, bowed down with the back of my paw and part of my front leg pressed against the grassy ground.

        In the corner of my eye, I see the Alpha's second bow his head a bit, though that's it. I wonder what rank he is if he doesn't have to bow like I do?

        I stay in that position for a few seconds before standing up. I stand stiffly with my tail tipped up, though not held very high in the air. My muscles are rigid before the Alpha King, my form held in the highest respectful pose.

        I look up at the Alpha King and see him nod at me and I refrain from wagging my tail, though the tip of it twitches.

        "Name and rank?" he asks me, looking down at his piece of paper.

        "Evergreen Raverik, Tracker," I mind-link him, my voice very formal, not letting the wolf beside me hear it. I can tell he's annoyed by the twitch of his lip as his canine flashes.

        The Alpha King nods to himself as he, what I'm assuming, puts a check mark next to my name.

        The Alpha King looks to his second next and I am surprised when a grin forms on his face. "Ah, Azrael. I was wondering when you were going to turn up." My ears pop up in shock as I listen to his teasing voice.

        I keep my face stoic as I look between the two. I hear the Alpha's second, Azrael apparently, groan. I can also feel it as he is pressing against me and is growling, too.

        "Nathan, I told you to call me Zael," Azrael tells the Alpha King through mind-link. I hide my shock as Azrael talks to the Alpha King with no respect.

        "Yes, yes, Zael," the Alpha King says. "Glad to know you didn't go missing." His tone is warm and I follow "Zael" as he walks away.

        I follow him across the field towards a large tree a little bit in the forest. I go over the conversation in my head, confused as to why the two are so informal with one another.

        I let Azrael feel my emotions as I go over the conversation. I send him my confusion to what had happened, as well as a slightly scorn feeling. Telling him that he should be more formal with the Alpha King.

        Azrael sits next to the tree, flashing his fangs as he lets out a big yawn. I follow after him and sit in front of him. I tilt my head at him, waiting for him to explain.

         He stares into my eyes for a few seconds, seeming to look for something. "He's my uncle."

        I tilt my head in confusion. "Your uncle? I didn't know that the Alpha King had another sibling other than my Alpha."

         "Well... he did." My eyebrows pull forward in a frown before my ears stiffen.

        I pin my ears backward as I look at him. I send him my emotions, making sure that I don't feel pity, just heartbreak, and sadness. He tilts his head down, looks away from me, and pins his ears back. A reluctant confirmation.

        I crouch down and crawl towards him, a whine in my throat. I stay a foot away from him, waiting for him to refuse my comfort. He doesn't show a sign of denial and I continue towards him.

        I curl under his chin and rub my cheek against his. I give a shy lick to his chin and nuzzle into him. He lays down beside me and I follow after him, curling up beside him. I make sure to place my head over his neck as a wolf-like hug.

         Though I haven't eaten since this afternoon, everyone had either eaten food that they had on them or hunted. I had easily tracked down and ate a rabbit my wolf form not needing a lot of food due to my small size and being an animal.

        The sky grows dark and I can hear wolves around me eating and getting ready to sleep. I hear Azrael's heartbeat flow into a steady beat, along with his breathing.

        I slowly blink my eyes and let my heavy eyes fall, trusting my ears to save me from any danger.