Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: Ever

        I shift around in the bed as the light streams through the curtains. My eyes blink open and shut as I get used to the sudden bright light. I lay there with my eyes open wide and just stare at the ceiling.

        Last night Azrael and I ate at the cafe with the wolves he knows. He told me that after his parents died that the woman, Rose, and her husband took him in. He said that while they were not his parents, they were the best he had.

        My eyes close as I focus through the mind-link and on my hearing. About half the wolves in the castle are awake and I can sense many of them wandering around a section of the castle grounds. Must be setting up for the tests.

        I tilt my head to the side, the sound of running water floating through the room. I push myself up and look around the room. It's still the same as when I looked at it yesterday, except my bag is on the floor by the door and there's a door to the left of my bed that I didn't see before.

        Good idea, Azrael. I'll get a shower. I push myself off the bed and undress, not worrying about someone barging in the room like Leah always does. I fold my night clothes, grab my small bit of toiletries, and pull open the door that I hope is actually a bathroom.

        I nod to myself, thanking the Gods that it actually is a bathroom. I close the door behind me and notice a door which must lead to the hallway. Azrael's bathroom should be right across from this one, I think to myself, the sound of running water becoming louder.

        I turn the water on and just jump in, not worrying about the freezing temperature. Part of my training to become a tracker was submerging myself into freezing water to catch a scent before it was fully washed away.

        I can't help the goosebumps that raise on my skin at the temperature, though. I set the water to a warmer temperature before washing my hair and body. As I rinse off the soap suds, I think about today's tests.

        Strength and Stamina. I'm one of the best runners in my pack, only the higher-ranking wolves managing to outpace me. What I'm worried about is the strength test.

        Because I'm a runt, I'm not as strong as other wolves. My strength when last tested ranked about average. It was decent enough in my old pack because all I was really doing was tracking down a few hostile rogues. But now, I'm going to be helping in tracking a rogue much dangerous and stronger than any of the rogues I have ever taken down.

        I just hope that they look over the fact that I'm weaker than most wolves. The Alpha King will have no trouble wither sending me home because of my lack of strength or keeping me here to train. I'd rather leave the castle as soon as possible, though.

        I'm much faster than a lot of the wolves I know, so hopefully, it will make up for my lack of superior strength. You could always train harder, my mind whispers to me. I shake my head and shut off the water to the shower.

        Training harder won't do much, I think to myself. I've tried it, and while I did get stronger, I also got hurt because of it.

        My Alpha had decided to help me and a few of the other higher-ranking runts in our pack grow stronger. He had us train with the top members of the pack. I was tired in the beginning, though it did get easier. But as it got easier, I started to weaken. The tough training had negative effects on my body and ruined my stamina and speed.

        It was to the point where my muscles actually broke down and I had to spend a week in the hospital to heal. The Alpha immediately stopped the training because other runts were having the same problem.