Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Ever

        I duck my head down as a blush washes over my face, Leah and my mother giggling softly at Azrael's words. "That's so sweet..." my mother says, looking up at my father. "Isn't it, love?"

        I bite my lip as my father keeps scrutinizing my mate. He's got this calculating gaze on his face that I've seen him look at a few male warriors with. I'm pretty sure those were the wolves who were interested in courting me. They've never asked me out, though and I suspect that's my father's fault.

        He's a very protective father, I've learned. Especially with the fact that I'm a runt and I was sometimes beat on by the previous Alpha as the other runts were.

        He tilts his head to the side as he looks at Azrael. Azrael removes his gaze from my face to meet my father's eyes. He doesn't look away from my father who narrows his eyes at him.

        Both of their eyes begin to turn to their wolf eyes and I can tell that if the staring match isn't broken, someone's going to end up growling. I turn my head to the side as I hear a set of loud footsteps come near us.

        I nod my head to Alpha Quill, my mother and Leah doing the same. Azrael and my father don't acknowledge the powerful wolf as he comes near, though I know that both have heard him.

        My father's always focused on his surroundings, as is Azrael. Both are warrior wolves who are used to keeping an eye, or ear in this case, on their surroundings. It means possible death and injuries should they not be focused on what's going on around them.

        "What is going on here?" Alpha Quill asks, his voice full of confusion and amusement. However, I have an inkling that he knows exactly what's going on here. Neither wolf fully acknowledges Alpha Quill except for a small head nod.

        Alpha Quill raises an eyebrow at the two before looking at my mother, Leah, and me. "It seems that they're having a... staring contest," Leah says, edging around what's really happening, somewhat nervous in the alpha's presence.

        I don't pay any attention to her nervousness, knowing that other wolves have trouble being in a high-ranking wolf's presence. Especially an alpha's.

        I don't expect the deadpan look that Alpha Quill shows, not really expecting an alpha to be so normal in a lower raking wolf's presence. I suppose I've got to pay more attention to how alphas actually act, don't I? I muse to myself.

        My father finally eases out of his scrutinizing look, giving Azrael a nod of acceptance. I tilt my head to the side as he looks away from Azrael's stare, his eyes turning to their normal pale green. The same color of eyes I have.

         I smile up at Azrael as he turns towards his uncle, moving from his place beside me to hug him. Alpha Quill grabs Azrael by his shoulders after patting his back, looking him over. "You've grown so much over the last time I've properly seen you," he says, smiling down at him with an odd gleam in his eyes.

        I'm unable to decipher it as the look changes to one of pure warmth and joy. "I know I said this earlier, but congratulations you two," he says, moving his gaze from Azrael to me. I smile softly at him with a nod.

        "Thank you, Alpha Quill." My eyebrows crease as Alpha Quill shakes his head slightly, an amused look making his lips twitch upwards.

        "You don't have to address me by my title, Ever. We're family, now." I can't help but be slightly shocked by the statement. Both Azrael and Alpha Quill obviously see my shock by the slight chuckles that leave them.

        Azrael walks up to me from behind and I lean against him as his arms wrap around my shoulders. The movement feels completely natural as if we've done it hundreds of times. I can't help but smile up at him as he pulls me into him.

         "He's right, love," Azrael mutters softly. "You're family now. That also goes to you both." Azrael nods his head towards my parents and I can tell that they're not as shocked as I am, usually talking to Alpha Quill on a first name basis as they're close friends.

        I look around the table and tilt my head to the side as I see Leah is no longer sitting in the spot she was in previously. She probably didn't want to infringe on our private moment, I think to myself, not putting too much thought into the fact that I've only seen her for a few minutes since returning home.

        "It's not exactly home, is it?" Azrael whispers softly into my mind, sitting down beside me as his uncle sits next to my parents, having a conversation of their own. I shake my head at him, a small smile quirking on my lips.

        It's a somewhat sad smile, but it's still a smile. "I suppose not," I mutter back to him, blushing as he lifts his fork for me to eat a piece of steak from. "Your pack's my home, now. You're my home."

        I ignore the blush that threatens to kill me as I offer Azrael some potatoes. We continue to chat with one another in our minds, completely ignoring our families despite the fact that we won't be able to see them for a while.

        We relish in the feeling of finally being able to act as mates. Not a completely mated couple, but a couple in their "honeymoon" phase, I suppose. I ignore the eyes on the both of us as I take another bite of steak.

        Azrael wraps his arm around me and I smile up at him at the comfortable gesture, leaning into him in return.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! I'm happy to have finally gotten a chapter out after a week or so or not posting. Again, I'm sorry for the break and I'm happy that you all understood.

Also, thank you guys so much for all of the support you've given me. It honestly means a lot. So, thank you.

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 40,000!!!  :3

(*cough* comment *cough*)