the way i do

It was the next day and Jess was sat next Isla in the covered way, working her way through a bag of crisps.

Isla turned towards Jess and gritted her teeth. "You chew really loudly, you know that?"

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today." Jess chuckled before nudging her shoulder against Isla's and being serious.

"So what's up?"

Isla kept her gaze down and picked at her salad, unable to comprehend how she felt without saying that she was attracted to her stepfather and had blown him.

"Just, you know my mum again," she babbled hating that she had to lie to her best friend. "She's always at work, I see her for maximum 3 hours every week when she's not sleeping."

Jess leaned in to hug her best friend, awkwardly clinging to the side of her body. "Sooner or later her shifts will change Is. And until then you need to remember that this is how she pays the bills."

Isla nodded, knowing Jess was right; she was often right, much to Isla's dismay.

* * *

There he was, waiting in the car park for his stepdaughter to finish school, his leg bouncing up and down with nerves as he thought back to yesterday.

Harry saw Isla approaching and swiftly turned on the radio, making sure to hide his nerves, so to put the whole situation at ease. The door clicked open and she climbed in once again, her blouse clinging to her chest and momentarily distracting Harry from playing it cool.

"Hey Is, how was school?" She just smirked at him and bit her bottom lip, making sure their eyes didn't break contact.

"It was fine, not very exciting though."

Harry chuckled. "Angel, school isn't supposed to be exciting." His arm flexes as he changes gear, causing Isla to glance at the muscular limb.

"True, I mean only certain things can be exciting. I guess school isn't one of them." She locked her warm, brown eyes with his cold, jade ones and he caught on pretty quickly, she knew it.

Harry cleared his throat and moved on. "How are your grades?"

Isla looked down, not really sure how to put it. "Well, I'm not failing anything." Her stepfather gave her a stern look and she sighed. "My homework is letting me down. I need help with it, Harry."

He smiled, "That's okay. I'll help you, yeah?"

"Sure." She mumbles before he places his hand on her knee and pulling into the driveway. "You're gonna be fine, Is."

Isla got out of the car and raced round the other side to hug Harry. She felt him tense, understandably before pulling her closer to him and rubbing circles into her small back.

She pulled away knowing if she didn't, they'd be doing the same thing until someone pried them apart. Harry never broke hugs first and she loved that; he would hold onto you so tight and transfer his body heat between both of you and let you rest your head in the crook of your neck.

Her hands stayed on his neck, his still clung around her waist and she whispered to him. "I like you, Harry Styles."

Harry smiled softly, knowing that she was warming to him. And he said it back even though he knew she meant it differently to him, but that was okay.

"I like you too, Isla Canham."

* * *

Harry lay in his bed that night with his thoughts swimming around his head again, not knowing what to do. For once, after so long of figuring things out and making stuff work, he was stuck. He didn't know how he could just be around Isla when he was attracted to her the way he was; because it wasn't fair on anyone. Not on his wife and her mother, not on him - it risked him losing everything, and certainly not to Isla. She was so young and sweet but he wanted her much more than he cared to admit, even to himself.

He pulled his duvet off of him and tiptoed down the landing, before he stood outside of he room. Emilia was working a night shift again, so it was just the two of them.

Harry opened the door and his ears caught the sound of her heavy breathing, as his eyes adjusted themselves to the darkness - the only light coming from the window that had the curtains drawn open.

Shuffling over to the bed, he sat down and lifted his arms up slightly to gently shake her awake. His hands had just touched the soft skins of her arms when she moaned, and he froze.

"Uh," she squirmed on her mattress and Harry stared at her, not wanting to feel turned on by them way her back was arching slightly.

"Harry." She breathed and his eyes ran back up to hers, only to find them shut just like before.

He had begun to figure out what was happening and he didn't know whether to wake her now or not. She was having a wet dream about him, not helping his emotions towards her at all.

Harry took a shaky breath as she mewled and he gripped his hands slightly tighter on her as he shook her.

"Is, wake up. We need to have a chat." He whispered.

She fluttered her eyes open before squeezing them shut again, letting herself adjust to her drowsiness.

"Harry." She breathed, before sitting up and staring at him with wide eyes."

"Oh, Harry." She exclaimed, making him bite back a smirk.

"Isla, we need to talk about what happened in the car." His eyes bore into hers and he pulled her head up to look at him before taking his hand away.

"I shouldn't have let it happen, but it's hard for me because," he sighed. "You're older now and you attract more attention and, you, you managed to attract mine which is so wrong I know. It's weird and wrong, because a 34 year old man shouldn't be thinking about a 16 year old girl the way I do. But I can't stop it and it hard for me because you tease me, I know you don't do it purposely but it gives me the wrong idea."

He looked at his stepdaughter, who had a sparkle in her wide eyes before he continued. "I want you in ways that I," He paused, feeling shame stirring in his gut. "I shouldn't want you."

Isla leaned forward and placed her hands on his legs. "Harry, it's not wrong to want me like that. I want you in ways that I'm not allowed to have you, but it doesn't mean I don't think about it."

She climbed closer to him and straddled him, feeling his heart against her chest as she hugged him. "Harry, I think about you all day." She sighed.

He groaned. "You shouldn't, angel." She pulled back and looked at him closely.

"Does that mean you don't think about me?" Isla traced her hands on his chest and followed the traces of ink with her small fingers.

He breathed heavily, "You're all I think about," his large arms gripping her body to place her properly in his lap. "In fact, I think about you much too often for it to be remotely okay or normal."

"Stay with me, please Harry." She mumured.

His eyes flickered down to her soft, red lips and he traced his thumb over the skin before pulling it down.

"Lie down." He ordered and Isla complied, waiting to feel his big arms around her. Harry lay down next to her and turned to face her body before pressing his broad one into her curvy figure. His large biceps scooped her closer to him, and he placed his head in the crook of her neck.

And it felt okay, and normal and right.