Chapter 17

**Mary's POV**

I sat up on the hospital bed my hand caressing Dallas' hair as he slept on my lap peacefully, the only thing u could hear in the hospital was Dallas snoring. It was every late at night and the only people in my room was Sodapop and Dallas. "damn, when do we get out of here?" Sodapop said sounding irritated "uhm? I think the doctor said once they finish getting my blood work done then they'll get crouches and were good to go...why you tired?" I turned to ask him I could see it in his eyes that he was exhausted I don't blame him it was, 1 in the morning.

"yeah I am but darry said to stay with you until your out!" I turn back to dallas and continued to mess with his hair.

Sodapop and I didn't have the best relationship... anymore we used to be so close growing up we would sneak out together and go party, we'd cheat of each others papers in class, he knew my secrets and my pains but everything changed the second mom and dad died it was kinda like he complete shut me out. We still talk a lil bit but not the same as how it used to be the most we've spoken is 4 sentences one day. I wish we had that close bond again but its just not the same anymore.

A loud beep noise came from down the hall which startled dallas, he instantly woke up from his nap put his fist up getting ready to fight
"wow, tiger.. Its okay. Your good. Your okay. It was just, I don't know what it was but it was something. But your okay" I told him putting my hand on his shoulder making him feel at ease. "Oh man, I'm sorry marry.." He told me god he looked so cute with that messy hair of his. "Hey dallas why don't you go home and sleep you look like you need to catch some Zzz." Sodapop told dallas and he was right, dallas did need to go home and sleep he has huge bags under his eyes from not sleeping at all.

"No, no, no I gotta stay here and make sure your okay." He told me it was so sweet that he cared so much about me "Dallas she'll be okay u see shes fine! You should go and get some rest!" Sodapop re assured him.

"Yeah your right man " he said getting up rubbing his eyes and kissing me on the forehead every inch of him drove me crazy i was falling hard for him. "Goodbye.." He said walking out the door leaving me and sodapop.

20 minutes after dallas left my doctor came in the room "well everything seems fine, your baby's ok, you didn't lose that much blood-"

"Wait what did u say?" I interrupted him. "You didn't lose that much blood?" He asked confused "no the other part!" Sodapop stared at me as if it wasnt true what he just said

"your baby's ok...?"

"What baby I'm not pregnant...."
I couldn't be pregnant not right now not with everything going on and if I was I knew it was dallas'

"That's what the paper work shows. A week pregnant. That's why you haven't had any symptoms yet!" He handed soda a paper proving I was.

"OH MY GOD" I said covering my mouth.

"I'm pregnant...." I looked at sodapop
"Oh is this the father?" The doctor question looking at soda "god no this is my brother."
"Oh I'm sorry, but your good to go when your ready I'll bring a wheelchair." he said leaving the room.

Sodapop stayed quiet on our way out of the hospital and when we got to the car.. he finally spoke...

"It's Dally's ain't it?" He said in almost a whisper "yeah..." was all I said. I was still in shock, I couldn't believe I was having a baby.

"We can't tell anyone about this ok? Not dally not two-bit, not steve, and especially not Darry you got it he cannot find out about this!"
I have never heard sodapop be serious in all my life and honestly it kinda scared me because the boy he always laughed wasn't joking he and I both knew Darry would kill me! Pregnant at almost 16....

"WOW IMA BE AN UNCLE!!!" He said and their it was sodapop back to normal, this was a surprise we have never spoken this much since mom and dad passed always we used to be so close and then one day we just separated.

On the ride home we made small talk, like how was the weather, and he asked question about the baby I didn't know:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
"What are you gonna name him or her?"
"When are you gonna tell Darry and Dallas?"
"Are you gonna drop out?"

And I kept the same response "I don't know"
Sodapop stop the car right in front of the house, we stay there for a good minute or so neither of us wanted to get out, and I was ready to ask the big question. Why did you separate?Why were we no longer as close as we were?
It was something that had been killing me ever since they died!

"Why are we no longer as close as we used to be?" He stayed quiet. I realize he's been pushing me away. He always had, and he always did. This night was probably the very first night that we've talked in a while.

He shrugged his shoulders and got off the car.

"no soda I'm being serious ever since mom and dad died you've just been pushing me away as if you want nothing to do with me anymore I am your sister and you treat me as if I'm some stranger! Why?" He kept walking and ignoring my question

"What did I ever do so u can push me away this night has been the only night we're u and I have spoken in a long time soda! Remember we used to snake out and party or remember our morning runs or how we used to tell each other everything? We used to be best friends soda so what happened?" I basically pleaded for an answer

"Because you remind me too much of mom.." he turned to yell at me.
"you remind me way to much of mom. The way you look, the way you dress, the way you laugh, the was you talk, everything about you reminds me of mom and I... I hate the fact that she's gone... and when I look at you I see her and I know your not her but still I miss her everyday and when I see u it's just a reminder that she's not here anymore..." he said with a tear running down his face I felt bad... now I knew the question I've been wanting to know I finally knew...