Chapter Eleven

19 Days Left

"I just don't get him," Caroline sighs, looking out the window. She refuses to cry over him, but being sad is another thing.

"I don't either! He seemed so into you from what you said. I mean, are you sure you heard everything correctly? Maybe she was just trying to get a rise out of you," Bonnie explains, her eyes focused on the road.

"I wish that were the case. I heard her though. She said they slept together, and by the way Klaus was looking at her when he thought no one could see, he still isn't fully over her. I don't know, Bonnie. Maybe this was meant to happen. Maybe we just aren't meant to be," Caroline rubs her eyes tiredly, wanting to just stop thinking about tonight and focus on getting home into something comfy and climbing into bed.

"Don't say that, Care. He clearly cares about you or else he wouldn't have gone after you."

"I guess," Caroline mumbles, not believing it.

The car ride to Caroline's apartment is silent. The two girls climb out of the car and head upstairs into her apartment building, waiting quietly as she puts her keys into the lock and opens the door. A weight is lifted off of her shoulders as she enters, immediately sinking into the couch.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"No," Caroline answers, pouting.

"I hate seeing you like this, Care," Bonnie sighs, hugging her from behind the couch. Caroline leans into her embrace, inhaling slightly.

"I'm kinda tired, I think I'm just gonna get some sleep," she lies, knowing she'll in no way be able to sleep with him on her mind.

"You know what? No. You will not allow him to rule your emotions like this. I'm calling up Elena. We are going to have a fun night together. I won't let you be sad," Bonnie exclaims with a smile, already dialing Elena's number.

Caroline doesn't have time to argue, simply allowing Bonnie to call Elena, listening to her talk on the phone before hanging up.

"She'll be here in a few," Bonnie smiles, "now help me pick out some movies to watch."

• • •

It's nearing midnight when Caroline's fully drunk, dancing to the music in the background with her friends by her side.

"Who even cares about Klaus? He can piss off, that's what," Elena slurs her words, taking a sip out of the vodka bottle while scrunching her face from the bitter taste.

"Yeah! I certainly don't need him. For all I care, he could be banging that girl Fiona tonight. Doesn't even bother me," Caroline shrugs her shoulders, chugging vodka down her throat too easily. The liquid stings her throat, but it numbs the pain deep in her chest that she refuses to acknowledge.

"You don't need him, Care. You're an independent, strong woman. That's who you are," Bonnie slurs, pressing a hand to her shoulder while taking a sip of her drink.

"You're right."

"Okay, enough talk of boys. Let's dance!" Elena giggles, throwing her hands up with a squeal while turning the music up louder.

The girls dance for what feels like hours in their drunken minds, but in reality what is only minutes before Caroline's phone buzzes, bringing her back into reality.

"One sec," Caroline rolls her eyes, picking her phone up before heading out of the living room to see who is texting her so late.

Her heart nearly stops.

Klaus:
I am sorry, Caroline.

She doesn't want to give in to him, to answer, and she nearly doesn't- but her heart aches for any sort of communication with him, even if it is fighting. She looks back at Elena and Bonnie, still dancing their hearts out, before quickly replying.

Caroline:
Don't.

It isn't long before she gets a reply.

Klaus:
Please, call me. Let me explain, love. Nothing happened between Fiona and I.

Caroline needs to squint to understand what he's saying with the alcohol in her system, rolling her eyes.

Caroline:
I'm done, Klaus. We're done, I said that.

Klaus:
I'm going to call you. Please answer.

Caroline doesn't have time to text back before he calls, his name showing up on her screen. Her heart begs to answer, but her mind refuses, and she declines. He calls numerous times, each one she declines.

"Caroline, get your ass back into this room and dance!" Elena calls, bringing her out of her thoughts and into reality once again.

She puts Klaus's contact on silent and heads back into the room, a grin on her face.

"Who was that?" Bonnie questions.

"No one," she shakes her head, and Elena and Bonnie decide not to question it further, instead continuing their dancing.

A knock on the door stops the girls and Caroline immediately stops, looking at the door.

"It's probably the pizza guy," Elena chimes in, smiling.

Caroline nods in relief, getting her wallet before heading over to the door and opening it while digging out some cash.

"Hi, how are y-" she stops when her eyes meet his, her heart aching.

"You didn't answer my calls. I was worried."

"Klaus?"

• • •

Sorry about the really bad chapter and any spelling errors.

I recently lost someone to suicide and it's been really tough. I'm doing fine for anyone wondering and am getting through it, but just in case you guys wonder why I hadn't updated in awhile, that's why! :)

Vote and comment!

I love you all.

XoXo