Chapter Thirteen

12 Days Left

Her eyes settle outside where the rain is steadily pouring down from the dreary sky. Her heart continues to ache for him as it has been for the past week. She doesn't want to think about him but she can't stop herself.

"Caroline?" Bonnie's impatient voice pesters, causing Caroline to glance up, now out of her daze.

"Sorry," she frowns apologetically.

"It's okay, I'm just worried about you. You've been so distracted lately and you're not like yourself. Is this about him?"

The sudden mention makes her heart race.

"No," she denies, but Bonnie can see right through it.

She narrows her eyes, "really?"

"Of course it's about him, Bonnie! Everything in my mind is about him!" Caroline suddenly snaps, immediately regretting it when Bonnie slightly flinches at her change in tone.

"I didn't mean to-"

"No, Bon, it's okay. I'm sorry. You were just trying to help. I'm just sick of thinking about him, you know? Of worrying about what he's doing, who he's with- everything."

"You miss him, don't you?" she smiles slightly at Caroline, tilting her head.

"Is it bad to say yes?"

"I know what you need, Care."

"What is that?" Caroline asks, intrigued by the devious smile growing on her friend's lips.

"Fun! There's a party tonight, let me take you and Elena! Come on, it'll be a good time. There's food, drinks, cute guys..." she winks, but Caroline only frowns.

"I had a cute guy. Then he blew me off for another girl."

"That's exactly why he does not deserve you. Come on, Care! Please. I swear you'll have a good time. Don't you want just one night out with your friends, no guy on your mind?" Bonnie begs, giving Caroline puppy dog eyes.

Caroline rolls her eyes with a fond smile, "fine."

• • •

"Whose house is this again?" Elena asks, fixing her shirt while the three of them walk up the steps.

"No clue, honestly. My friend told me about it though and said everyone's invited and it seemed like fun."

Caroline gulps nervously as they enter, loud music blaring immediately. Everyone is currently spread throughout the house, most people in the living room dancing with drinks in their hands.

"Hey, you made it!" a familiar face comes up to them, hugging Bonnie.

"Guys, this is-"

"Marcel, hey," Caroline smiles up at him, who immediately leans in to give her a small hug.

"I remember you. Caroline, right? Aren't you a friend of Klaus's?" he smiles, unknowingly making Caroline's heart skip a beat at the mention of him.

"Uh, yeah. We were. We're not really anymore, I don't know. It's complicated," she blushes, pushing a strand of hair away from her face.

Elena chimes in, "Klaus is an asshole, is what she's trying to say."

Marcel's face twists into a frown, "I thought you two had a thing, though?"

"Things didn't work out..." Caroline looks down in reply, and Marcel notes the overwhelming sadness laced in her voice, immediately backing off of the situation.

"Oh, I'm sorry I brought it up. I know how he can get," he replies, his voice oddly soothing.

"Hey, how about you two get us all some drinks, hm? I'm gonna talk with Marcel some more," Caroline tells Bonnie and Elena who nod hesitantly in response before scurrying off. Truth be told, she wants to talk with Marcel by herself for a little while. He seems like a nice guy.

"I really am sorry about you and Klaus. I thought you two really liked each other. What happened?"

She is hesitant to respond, but finally does, saying, "he ended up with someone else."

"What? Who?"

"Fiona," Caroline retorts.

"Fiona? Damn, I haven't heard that name in ages. Are you sure Klaus likes her? Last I knew, he despised her," Marcel furrows his brows.

Caroline shrugs, "it doesn't matter either way. She has a thing for him and I don't want to get in the way of that."

"I understand your side, I do, but have you talked it out with him yet? He really liked you, Caroline. The first night you two hung out, he practically gushed about you after."

"We tried talking it out and I let him go. I told him we should be just friends."

"But I take it you don't want to be?" Marcel cuts in.

She shakes her head, "of course not. But I... I don't think the timing was right for us. Maybe it's better this way."

Marcel smirks, "that's complete bullshit, Caroline."

"What?"

"You two are great for each other. You're just pushing each other away because you don't want to admit you. You both are so stubborn," he shakes his head fondly.

"I am not stubborn," Caroline crosses her arms.

Marcel raises an eyebrow at her and she rolls her eyes. Suddenly, his face goes pale, looking behind her.

"Caroline, I swear, I didn't plan this."

"What are you talking about?" she asks, turning around, her face now mirroring his.

"Caroline?" the familiar voice asks.

"Klaus."

• • •

How'd you guys enjoy the chapter?

Vote and comment!

XoXo