Chapter Fifteen

12 Days Left

"Hey, how'd that go?" Elena asks when Caroline reaches their group once again. She blushes, composing herself finally.

"What do you mean?" she asks, clearing her throat, trying not to sound too suspicious and obviously failing.

"Uh, you and Klaus? You seemed pretty mad before. I mean, did everything go well?" Elena asks again, more clear this time.

"Oh, that. Yeah, everything's good. We worked it out," Caroline shrugs, fighting the blush which threatens to spread on her face.

"What are you not telling me?" Elena pries some more, her eyebrows furrowed, intent on getting information.

"Nothing! I already told you, we just made out- made up! We made up!" Caroline practically hits herself for slipping up.

Elena bursts out in giggles, "oh my god!"

"Shh! Okay, maybe we made out, but it doesn't mean anything! Okay? We're still not a thing. We just... I don't even know. He makes me crazy sometimes," she groans, frustrated. By this point, she can't even explain what they are.

"You like him, yes?"

"Of course."

"He likes you?"

"I hope."

"Then what are you waiting for, Care? You deserve to be happy. You deserve to love again and to be loved," Elena smiles, pulling her into a quick embrace before letting go.

Caroline ponders her best friends words for a minute before nodding. Why am I so hesitant to allow myself to love? Her mind races with the question.

"Hey, can we talk?"

The sudden arm slinging over her shoulder, gently pulling her closer to them makes her jump in surprise. She turns to her right, seeing Klaus with a small, reassuring smile on his face.

"Of course," Caroline replies, instinctually taking his hand in hers and following him out of the room, noting the very large smile on Elena's face as she exits.

The two find a quiet place outside with no one around and take a seat next to each other on a small bench.

"I heard what you were saying with Elena..." Klaus starts, hesitant.

"You were listening?" Caroline asks, unsure of if she's more nervous about his response or annoyed by the fact he used his vampire powers to eavesdrop on her personal conversation.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I just... I'm new to this sort of thing. You're the first person in awhile that I've had these sort of feelings for..." Klaus states, almost sounding... nervous?

Caroline pauses before speaking, "I know... I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For not believing you before about Fiona. I should have known you were over her. I doubted you and I just should have trusted you. To be honest... never mind," she shakes her head, as if shaking the thought away as well.

"No, what?" Klaus pursues.

She sighs before going on, "I think I was scared."

"Scared?"

"Of us, of how much I like you..." Caroline explains, her eyes looking down at the floor. The wind causes her to shiver as she looks back up into his blue-green eyes which always seem to melt her heart.

"I can assure you I am probably just as scared of my feelings for you as you are for me," he smiles.

"I would take you as a guy who's used to being in a relationship, no?" Caroline jokes.

"I've never felt like this towards anyone, Caroline. You... you're so different from everyone else. You have a certain light about you."

"Is that a good thing?"

Klaus smiles, "very good," and kisses her.

• • •

How are you all doing? :)

Vote and comment!

XoXo