Chapter Sixteen

12 Days Left

When Klaus and Caroline return to the party, his arm instinctually slips behind her waist, pulling her closer to him. She allows him to do so, finding comfort in his touch.

"Hey," she greets Marcel and Rebekah who stand, eyeing the two in suspicion.

"Hey... so you two are...?" Marcel's voice trails off, waiting for Caroline to confirm it.

She shakes her head, "no, no- we're just..."

Her eyes trail to Klaus's. She knows she can say they're just friends and he'll be fine with it because he's a gentleman and doesn't want to pressure her, but who is she kidding? They can't even stay mad at each other. She's sick of hiding their relationship from everyone.

"Yes, actually. We're together," she smiles, leaning closer to him for comfort. He looks down in surprise, then in relief, pressing a small kiss to her forehead.

The affection is small but oh so grand at the same time. It's the first time they've really shared their liking for each other in public.

"Well it's about damn time!" Rebekah chimes in, giggling as she sips her champagne.

Marcel laughs, followed by Klaus and Caroline. The now much lighter mood that hangs in the air is comforting, and Caroline feels a giant weight lift off her shoulders.

It all just feels so right. Like she's known everyone for years, weirdly...

Suddenly, a pain hits her head. She groans, rubbing her head in pain. Klaus quickly is at her side, asking what's wrong.

She can't respond, instead excusing herself before rushing out of the crowded room, heading outside. She needs air, it's all so much...

What's happening?

She hears Klaus's footsteps right behind her as she falls to the floor in agony.

"Klaus?" she whimpers, her vision going blurry.

"It's okay, love. I'm here. Shh. Tell me what's wrong," he holds her.

"I...m-my head..." she trails off, her vision blacking out as she's hit with yet another memory.

• • •

Klaus stands beside her in a bar, Marcel and Rebekah next to them with smiles on their faces.

"So, when are you two getting married?" Rebekah asks, clearly tipsy.

Caroline grins, looking over at Klaus, wiggling her eyebrows, receiving a playful slap to her shoulder before he pulls her in, kissing her cheek.

"We aren't rushing anything," Klaus answers for them.

"Oh come on, Klaus! You've been together for years! Everyone knows you're meant for each other. So, when are you going to pop the question?" Marcel smirks, chugging the last of his beer.

"Stop asking us about this. We're happy and that's all that matters, right?" Caroline replies, kissing Klaus on the lips. He nods in agreement.

"Okay, okay! I'm just saying. You two of all people deserve to be happy- happy forever, together!" Marcel adds, winking. Caroline leans her head on Klaus's chest. It would be nice to be married. They've been together for so long, after all.

"Yeah, it would."

• • •

Caroline wakes up in a large bed, Klaus sitting beside her, his hand in hers. His eyes immediately lock onto hers, scooting closer.

"Hey, how do you feel?" he asks softly, almost in a whisper.

She attempts to sit up, only to clutch her head once again, laying back down.

"Sore," she laughs, trying to liven the mood a bit.

He smiles, "you passed out about an hour ago. I carried you up here."

"An hour? It feels like it was seconds ago that I was outside..."

"Well all that matters is if you feel okay, huh?" he uses the back of his hand to feel her head, then gently caressing her cheek.

"You're beautiful," he sighs.

She blushes with a small smile, "Klaus..."

His lips meet hers, pulling away after a minute.

"I have something to tell you, Klaus," she breathes heavily, cupping his cheek, pressing another kiss to his lips.

"What is it?"

"I... I've been having these... memories. It's of us. Klaus, I think in some weird way... we've known each other before."

• • •

Happy thanksgiving everyone! :)

Vote and comment!

XoXo