Chapter Nine: Eden's Garden-*10/15/2018 update*

The Pyrésees castle was much more vast than Aaron could had imagined. Eden led him down a stairwell and then through the archway of a stone pavilion. Sculptures of celebrated Pyrésees queens were carved into the walls of the pavilion, mosaics tiles arranged to the color and shape of the royal crest decorated the ceilings; purple and gold tiles arranged to the shape of olive leaves and grapes. Beyond the internal archways of the structure were paintings of the Four Goddesses.

When they crossed the threshold of the pavilion on into the santuari d l'eden, Aaron found himself standing on a plateau overlooking the entire hidden Pyrésees gardens. A statue of the goddess Maia sculpted with wings lay in the center of a fountain surrounded by a pond. Crickets and frogs and cicadas shrilled from the aquatic foliage. The ancient goddess stood atop of the cascading streams with her right hand open. Below, four children faced the four directions of the Four Winds, encircled by the skirt of showering water.

The santuari d l'eden was an eclectic botanical labour of many generations. Throughout the eras, master landscapers were sought from the far corners of Andora to finish the never-ending masterpiece of the Pyrésees. Other than the hand-selected designers, none but those with the blood of the first King of Pyrésea were allowed to enter. Eden was putting both herself and Aaron at risk by bringing him into the santuari d l'eden. If they were caught, King Elijah would not hesitate to put Aaron to death.

The young princess led Aaron through her garden. Before, Aaron didn't pay attention to flowers, let alone their impressive colors that beamed forth from the night. Suddenly, each flower lost its name. For Aaron had only called all flowers, flowers. While touring him through her gardens, Eden pointed out each by name, and then Aaron knew less than before. Primala vulgaris, convallaria majalis, cerisier, amandier. "And these," Eden said and plucked a flower from a lily, "the centaurea montana hydrolat is my favourite one. Don't you think it's pretty, Aaron?" The girl handed him the exotic flower and then took a seat on the grass. Aaron studied the beauty of the exotic flower and then joined her on the ground. The petals winged out in four pointed crowns and deep purple stems folded toward the aquamarine center. "It's native to Pyrésea. They use its extract to dye the fabric of the tunics worn by the knights in Torino."

"You know a lot."

"Well, I have to."

"Why do you have to?"

"The Kingdoms of Andora are uniting. I'm to study at the Sevren Halls of Learning."

"I've heard about that. Sidon's supposed to be going when he comes of age."

"Prince Revali is going to be there too—I'll have all the hot guys around," Eden said. Aaron turned away, watching two nightingales enter flight from the branches of the parasol pines. Eden nudged his shoulder. Their eyes fell onto one another's.

"Aaron!"

"What?"

"Look!" Eden pointed as if he should turn and look behind. Then shoving him Eden jumped to her feet and ran away, laughing. Aaron then ran after her, neither of the youths caring what bushes or flowers they scurried around and through, allowing the playful night be thyself, allowing the night belonging to the ancient king and goddess belong to them. Mid-stride, Eden threw her legs forward and slid on her butt to face the break in the stonewall that served as a vista to the gulf de léon. A stilled black sheet when viewed from high above.

"We're on the edge of the world," Aaron said, trying not to pant (embarrassed that the exhaustive dash through the gardens challenged his athleticism) as he caught up and sat down beside her once again.