Chapter Twenty-Three: Dis-Engagement and The Lord of the Forest

From the emotional exertion and drunkenness, Aaron collapsed into a deep, deep sleep when he had made it home. That morning after, after Aaron awoke close to mid-day, George knocked on the door telling him that Terra had requested to see him.

Aaron scrubbed himself clean from the filth of the previous night, put on his best coat that had the Evershield crest embroidered on the back, and ordered to be sent to the Gorrea estate by chariot.

"Good morning, my love," Aaron said as he greeted his fiancé. Terra did not return the expression. Remaining formally reposed, Terra suggested that her and Aaron speak.

Inside the Gorrea estate, Terra had her servants prepare tea and then told Aaron to take a seat in the dining room.

"Aaron," she said.

"Yes, my heart?"

Terra deadpanned. "Why were you at the brothels," and then mockingly, "my heart?"

"At the?" he stuttered. "What, what might you be referring to?"

"Don't try to fool me." Terra straightened her posture. "I know you went to the brothel."

"T—Terra! I swear I haven't—"

"Aaron, I don't know who you think I am but I'm not an idiot. Since early this morning the rumour has been that you were drunk as fuck at the brothel and you tried fighting Jared."

"Terra—" Aaron decided he would retreat to the truth, "My—My cousins invited me to drink. I had no clue they would end up at the brothel. We were—"

"You swore you wouldn't take a whore."

"Terra I swear I haven't!"

"My father knows. They finally told me this morning. Apparently you go all the time? Are you fucked?"

"Terra I swear that's not true—"

"Why are you LYING to me Aaron? My father's men see you all the time. But because of who you are no one told me. But now that everyone knows—" Terra began crying through her anger. "My father had written to your uncle requesting the abdication of—of—our engagement." Terra bawled.

"Terra! No! I love you! I would never—"

"Shut the fuck up, Aaron! It's shameful and embarrassing enough. We're not yet married, I gave my body to you, and you were sleeping with whores behind my back? I don't want this... this... anymore." Terra slipped a letter out of an envelope that had the Evershield crest sealed onto it. "It's official. Your uncle signed this morning."

"Terra! W—Why? Didn't you think you'd speak to me, ask me first, before?"

"Y—You, Aaron, I gave my fucking body to you. You swore when we got engaged you wouldn't—that you wouldn't—" the tears poured from her eyes. "How could you do that to me?"

"Terra I swear I haven't been with another woman! I swear—"

"Oh Hell you haven't!" The tears came out even harder. "Please, just accept it. This is shameful as it is. T—To call off my engagement to one of the Evershield's. To—I gave my body to you. I gave away my virginity to you, Aaron. You—You made me impure! You've ruined me!" Terra picked up her hot teacup and threw it passed Aaron's head. The steaming water lashed out from the cup, scorching Aaron before smashing against the wall. "You fucking asshole! Fuck you!"