Chapter Twelve - You're Mine!

Hey guys, next chapter is here!!! Hope you guys are still enjoying my book. Does anyone think my book is progressing too fast or what? I am still trying to learn how to put everything into a chapter that is enjoyable for everyone to read. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. 

Evan's POV

Why the hell am I following them? I should have stayed in the Pack house where it is safe. But for some reason I felt compelled to follow  them to the clearing. When I get there, Jaxon is threatening Mason with a war if he doesn't leave me alone. I am absolutely terrified right now, but I can't seem to get my feet to obey the command to get back to the Pack house.

The wind suddenly shifts and I see Jax turn his head slightly, sniffing the air. O shit, looks like I've been found. Jaxon's eyes snap towards me and he sees me trying to hide behind a tree. He motions for me to go towards him, and I really don't want to be that close to that monster, Mason, but I also need the comfort of Jax's arms around me right now. So, with a thumping heart and unstable legs, I walk over to Jax. When I reach him he pulls me into his arms and I go willingly, snuggling my face into his massive chest to hide from the glare on Mason's face.

"As you can see Mason, He was never yours. He is mine and mine alone, always has been and always will be" I hear Jax say to Mason and I can hear the smug smirk in his voice, he is taunting Mason. A shiver runs down my spine at those words, and it's not the bad kind. Jax is slowly but surely working his way into my heart and mind. He has shown me nothing but kindness and gentleness since we met and to me, that means the world. The past few years have been an absolute nightmare, but Jax makes me feel secure and safe. Like nothing will be able to ever hurt me again, especially not that horrible excuse for a man, Mason. 

I hear a growl start up from across the clearing and lift my head from Jax's chest and look towards Mason. He is being held back by his own men. "Please Alpha, you need to calm down. No blood is to be spilled in this clearing". His Beta, Dorian pleads. Mason looks at him, then turns back towards us. "Get your filthy fucking hands off my toy or so help me God, you will regret ever hearing my name". He growled out at Jax, his face bright red with anger and trying to contain himself. I look up at Jax and, o shit, this man is beyond livid. "How dare you speak of my Mate that way?" He growls back. Then he gently sets me aside as he takes a few steps towards Mason. Carter tenses up, just in case he needs to stop Jax from doing anything foolish. "And just so you know Mason, not even God, or the Moon Goddess or any other Deity you can think of, will be able to save you from me, when I do eventually get my hands on you. I will make you pay for what you have done to my Mate as well as all the others that have suffered at your hands." As he speaks, his body is becoming more tense and his voice was getting deeper, meaning his wolf was surfacing. We couldn't have that right now, so I did what I thought needed to be done. I squared my shoulders and walked over to him. 

I went and stood right in front of him, turning my back on the group across the clearing. As soon as Jax looked down at me with a frown, I reached my hand up and curled it into his hair at the nape of his neck. Before he could get a word in, I pulled his head towards mine and slammed my lips on his. It wasn't a sexual kiss or even sweet and gentle. It was me reminding him that I am here and that I am safe. His arms wrapped around my waist and we held onto each other through the kiss. I could feel his muscles relaxing and he eventually pulls away. Everything and everyone had faded away during the kiss and now it was all coming back. My face lit up like a Christmas tree when I looked up at Jax and saw the possessive look in his eyes. He had a huge smile of accomplishment on his face as well as a teasing grin. Then everything else starts registering around us. First to register is the growl of pure hatred and anger from across the clearing. Mason looks like he is ready to explode, but luckily Dorian is still holding onto him.