Chapter 9: All you need is a Friend

It was a picture of Michael and I sitting on the concrete stairs in front of his apartment…smoking a pipe.  At this moment I didn’t know what to do. I guess I freaked out because Rob kept muttering “It’s okay Kris” and things like that, but I really didn’t care. I was so pissed and frankly, so embarrassed I just ran out of the room and into the balcony shutting the glass door behind me. Thank God Rob didn’t follow me, he just sat there, frozen. I wasn’t a girl who’d cry over a stupid picture but guess what I just felt running down my cheeks? I sat down and put my head in my hands. I was so stupid! How did I think for one second that this wouldn’t happen? I can imagine the horrible headlines on tabloid magazines being published as I speak, they always seem to over-exaggerate and take things way out of proportion, and something like this, and they’d surely make up horrible things to go along with the pictures. Not too many people were happy that I got casted as Bella, and even more people were furious about Rob getting Edwards part. I looked like a wreck. I was wearing oversized grey sweats and a tight undershirt that was white, and barefoot. What’s even worse is that the picture seemed really clear, not like most paparazzi photos, you could clearly distinguish who I was and what I was doing, not to mention who I was doing it with! I wanted to punch myself, wanted to take out every hair on my head. I felt more tears running down my cheeks as my throat started hurting. I sat there, by myself, cussing at the damn paparazzi’s and myself for what seemed like hours when I felt someone touch my arm.

“Michael?” I sniffled looking up. I looked back down, who am I kidding? Michael wouldn’t magically appear by my side every time something goes wrong.  “Oh, it’s you, sorry I thought…”

“No Kris, it’s okay, I know” he said softly. “It’s getting cold…here, put this on” he offered me a big black sweat-shirt as he kneeled in front of me, so he was at eye-level with me.

“N-no, I d-don’t…”

“Kristen, I’m not going to let you catch a cold. Put it on” he uttered more seriously. I took it from his hands and struggled to slip it on. My hair got all over my face and I couldn’t find the whole to put my head through. Rob chuckled and helped me get it through. He laughed even louder when he say my hair covered face.

“You look like the loch-ness monster” I tried to smile, and it would’ve passed with anyone else, but Rob saw right through it.

“Kristen?” he whispered touching my clenched fists softly.

“What Rob?” I think I said it a bit too sharply, he looked taken aback. “Sorry, what is it?” I asked a bit calmer.

“This…its exactly what I was talking about. You can’t let this-“

“Robert! How can I not? Can you imagine the headlines and stories coming out of this? I have enough haters as it is, I don’t need people thinking I’m…I’m…Rob you don’t get it! Stop telling me all that sappy stuff, I don’t give what some ancient celebrity said a hundred years ago. We haven’t even started filming yet! I…” I let out a deep breath and peeked at Rob, he looked upset. I felt bad immediately, I know he meant the best and I yelled at him, but I had to get it out. After all, he was the one to tell me not to keep my emotions inside me all the time. We were both silent for a long time until I calmed down. My head hurt a little less, and my eyes were finally dry, I also noticed he didn’t let go of me this whole time- Until now.