Departure

-James? What are you doing here this late?
-I could ask you the same question y/n...
-I live here James... I do what I want! So now awsner, what are you doing here?
-I came here earlier but you wasn't here so I waited in the car and saw you coming with this girl... What were you doing? With her?
-You waited? Come in, it's cold...
I offered him to enter even though it wasn't what I wanted.
-So?
-Alycia's my partner. I went to her place to work and didn't feel good, she offered me to stay for dinner and drove me home after... Why are you asking? Are you jealous or what?
-I don't like her...
-Why so?
-She's... Too close...
-I'm not your property James! I'm not yours!
-That's not what you were saying few weeks ago...
He said, his eyes looking down then right in mines, hurt. I didn't know what to answer.
-I know I've hurt you in the pub... And I'm deeply sorry... I don't know what to do... I miss you, I love you!
My heart broke because it was at this moment I knew, I didn't anymore.
-How can I make it up to you?
-James please... It's late... You should go home...
He looked down, nodding shyly. He walked to the door, opened it, turning around the face me. My eyes were red. I knew I was breaking him. I saw in a minutes all the moments we had, cherished, but the magic left. Only a feeling of admiration was left.
-One more question... Do you love her?
I looked at him, confused.
-I... No... It's not about that James...
-Then what?
-I can't... I can't anymore...
He nod, closing the door behind him. My hands covering my eyes to hide the tears falling. It was over...

•••

Christmas break. Finally! The snow had recovered the grass as roads, and the cold was reigning around the walls. I was exhausted from the finals, the cold, the grey sky... I was now able to spend my days reading, chilling under my covers, hot chocolate all day.
It's been now four months since the breakup. I felt so bad for weeks for doing this to him but everything left my heart and deep down, he told me to do this. My friends were here, trying to cheer me up, talk with me but only the time made it better. Maisie opened her heart to Harry, who too loved her. They were doig it pretty well, it was a lovely view to see them all good, in love, seeing them peaceful. Miles on the other hand still remained alone and spent more time with me as the two other couldn't keep their hands to themselves. Miles opened up, talked more, became a little less shy and liked this Miles. Then, Alycia and I became really close, she was my best friend, we spent our week ends together, working on our project we presented the last week of school. I know everything about her as she does for me, we were practically roommates now. We came without saying to each other's place, slept to each other's home, we basically had two homes now. I couldn't feel happier! She was the best thing that could happen to me. She was caring, gentle, she always had the small attention to bright you day. She was a dream. She was special.

22th of December. I was driving, my car filled with suitcases, Alycia next to me. I was driving her to the airport, she came home for Christmas and to celebrate the new year with her friends there and family.
As we arrived, her face remained sad as she exited the car. I went to take her bags off the car and hold a part of them to walk to the airport.
-Hey don't be sad dear... You're going home! It's been months since you haven't seen your family and friends! It's going to be a beautiful time!
-Yes I know... It's just, I feel good here now, it's my home now, it's weird to leave actually...
-Owww sweetie...
I gave her a small hug, kissing her temple.
We waited for about thirty minutes and then it was time for her to leave, fly around the globe to find her family.
-Guess they're calling you...
-Yeah...
-Please don't be sad... I don't like to see you unhappy...
She smiled sadly.
-You'll see your childhood friends, your parents, your brother... You'll meet again your bed!!!
She chuckled.
-I'll miss you...
-Me too...
-Don't forget to open my gift on the 25th!
-How can I? And you too...
-Hope you'll like it!
-Of course! It's from you! Now go or you'll miss your flight!
-Yes...
-Come here!
She let her bag on the floor to hug me tight, like she never did before. It seemed to last for minutes, hours yet so quick. She took her bag and walked away, turning away one last time to wave at me before being out of my sight. When I couldn't see her, I still stayed there for a few until an old woman came to me.
-This girl is very special sweetie!
-Yes, I know...
-It's been a long time since I haven't seen someone looking at somebody else like this...
She took me out of my fantasy and I looked at her, confused.
-What do you mean?
-This is pure my dear, it's true love. Her eyes don't lie...
-No... She's just my best friend...
-Maybe for you but for her, you are her everything, I can assure you...
She left me speechless, my stomach turning upside down, my palms were wet, my mind focused on this last image of her.
-And I know you too, love her. You just don't see it yet my dear, but I do... Merry Christmas miss! Wish you all the love you deserve...
-Thank you madam... You too!
I didn't know what this old woman did to me but she changed something...

•••

Two days later, I was home with my Christmas tree on the morning, gifts underneath. The ones I was taking with me tonight to my parents one and hers. She told me to open it in the morning. I sat on my couch, holding it, posing it on my thighs, carefully and slowly opening it. It wasn't big. A rectangular bow and thin. It was a deep green, a small golden card on it with her handwriting.

"you know the meaning..."

I was confused but curious about this. I opened the box. It took my breath away, shivers traveled my body as my eyes went wide. A single red rose, an eternal on, the one which woul never fade away. I remembered what the woman told me at the airport. My heart exploded. My only wish was too see her but I didn't know why. I just needed to see her... I needed her here. I didn't know what to tell her. I didn't want to tell her anything and I wanted to tell her everything at the same time. I was scared... She was scaring me. I was scaring me.

The Christmas night was weird, I was drowned in my own little world, a little dizzy. Miles was with me, spending the evening since his parents were on a trip for Christmas. Hopefully, he was doing the talking with my family because I couldn't. My parents seemed to love him, I even got the question "is he your boyfriend...?" but they didn't know where my head was. All I could think of was this rose, of her so the only thing I was good at tonight was doing the dishes. Milo joined me later to talk.
-Y/n ?
-Yes?
-What's wrong?
-Nothing why?
-You're not here... What's happening?
-I... I don't know...
-Why? What happened?
-You remember, Alycia told me to open her Christmas present this morning...
-Yes sure!
-Well... It's confusing me...
-Why so?
-It's a red rose...
-No way??? And??? Did you tell her something since?
-No... I haven't...
-Do it! She's dead worried I guess! God she dared much with this! Just tell her you opened it at least...
-Yeah but...
-Y/n... You're the only blind one... We all saw the way she looked at you since weeks...
-But Miles! I... She's...
-Your best friend? A girl? So what? I see how happy you are when she's with you... She could be good for you! See how she takes care of you, how she cares for you! Don't waste this... She deserves an answer...
-Yes you're right I know... But... I'm... So scared! She scares me because... No forget about it...
-Because you love her as well... I saw it the moment she entered the room on the first day. You looked at her in a way you never did for anyone... I saw how worried she was during this shitty evening... How she took care of you when you were sick... You love each other so much that it's scaring you... It scares you because it's powerful, because you tried to hide it to yourself since day one, that's why you broke up with James... You love her y/n.
My eyes were wet, I tried to hold my tears but I couldn't. I didn't know why I did. He was telling indeed the truth and it was the first time someone did. He could have yelled, the result would be the same. The reality hit me now and I had no other choice then face it in few day when she comes back.

_______________________________________

Hello beautiful people!

Things are getting interesting isn't it? I'm sorry it's quite fast, I wanted to write this differently but well... I'll do a better job for the next one 😌
Hope you still enjoyed it!