Chapter 28 - The Sword in the stone

I'm an idiot, Tetsuko thought, letting out a sigh of frustration and anger in her mind as she stared at the people lining before her. I'm a huge idiot... All because I was childish and too proud at that time...

After Alonso had thrown her out the window, a few people had seen her stuck in the sword. No one dared to touch the sword of their lord though.

Tetsuko didn't mind. It was fun watching the sunrise in this other world. I think the only time I did this was when I was a brat... It's beautiful, but just like back in my world...guess some things don't change, no matter where you are...

And so Tetsuko remained where she was, using the stone as a sheath.

When a young guard patrolling saw the glass under the window, he figured out what had happened. Unlike the others, however, he wasn't afraid to get closer to Tetsuko. With a sleepy face, he put one hand on the handle and pulled the sword from the stone.

Tetsuko refused to move even one inch.

She didn't like the idea of someone so weak wielding her, even if it was only to carry her for a moment. So, in a childish and mischievous fit, she poured her energy on the tip and didn't let the man pull her out of the stone.

When the sword didn't budge, the man became annoyed. He put the other hand on the handle and tried again.

It made no difference.

Tetsuko refused to move.

The guard got angry and put the foot on the stone and tried again. Same thing.

Another soldier saw and came to him. "Step aside. Let a grownup take care, kiddo," he said, pushing the first guard aside.

He couldn't pull Tetsuko either.

No matter how much he tried, he couldn't even loose Tetsuko.

"Help me!" he screamed in a strained voice.

The young guard grabbed the guard cross and pulled.

It made no difference.

When they grew tired, they gave up.

The few people watching decided to try too. But Tetsuko refused to let anyone pulled her out of the stone.

They're too weak to wield me, she thought, somewhat enjoying watching the struggle.

But her childish pride had its cost.

She suspected the rumors about an unyielding sword on a stone would pique peoples' interested. But she never imagined it would stir them so much. And along with them, came strange rumors.

Some are so stupid I wonder how anyone in their right mind could believe, Tetsuko thought, sourly. I can't disagree about the strongest sword, but why wielding me would make anyone the strongest swordsman in the world?

Or why would pulling me give anyone the right to become a king or a queen? That's more than stupid. It borders on the insane. Like a sword could give the right to rule others... unless by force...

But the rumors were the least of her problem; Tetsuko no longer had time for herself. It's been days since I practice controlling my energy... other than to stop people from pulling me, I mean...

From dawn to dusk, there wasn't a moment without at least one person trying to pull her. Except for Alonso and Enrique, everyone who worked or lived or had access to the castle had tried to pull the sword at least once.