Chapter 52 - Itajubá

Is there any reason for this? Tetsuko asked her wielder, eyeing her from head to toe. The woman was dressed in a simple traveler's cape with a hood. She wore no armor nor anything that could set her apart from a simple traveler.

"Maybe not, but it's better than nothing," Faela said in a soft voice, making sure her face was hidden. "If someone recognized me, it might alert the worshiper."

Before they left Afonso's castle, Faela asked Enrique for another favor; to inform the court she would be resting for a few weeks there to recover from her wounds before going to Itajubá. All in order to sneak into the city without too many people knowing.

Do you really believe there are people helping the worshipers from the inside?

"I don't know. This Kingdom has been enemies for centuries, maybe millenniums. It's not strange if some of them infiltrated before and is now in a position to help the others."

And what? Even though they hadn't even fought together yet, Tetsuko could tell her new wielder was thinking much more than she was telling her sword.

"Maybe other people are interested in the worshipers' invasion..."

Like Lucky Chaos?

"Yes. Everyone always thought there was something suspicious about him. Now that you've told me what he can do, I need to be cautious about everyone."

Who do you have in mind?

"Your mind is as sharp as your edge," Faela said with a wry smile. "The new captain of the city guard, Sergio."

What about him? How's he related to Lucky Chaos? Did he get the job by some lucky coincidence?

"His brother was the captain until a few months ago. He was pointed by my master himself. Unfortunately, George got into a stupid knife game. The drunkard he was up against got mad and killed him. His brother, who once worked with Lucky Chaos, was promoted to Captain of the city guard even though there better people for the job."

Lucky of him, Tetsuko projected her thoughts. The drunkard was probably under Lucky Chaos command. Even a drunk idiot wouldn't kill a captain for over a knife game...

"Yes... So even if the new captain isn't under Lucky Chaos grasps, he might be working for him. I'd rather investigate a few things before people know I'm here."

Like what?

"The true state of the city... Even if those idiots try to pretend they got everything under control, my master can tell me the truth."

Who's your master? You said he pointed the old captain of the city guard.

"Yes. His name is Roberto and he was the one who taught me how do be a soldier after I left home..."

When the gates came into view, Faela stopped talking. There were two lines to enter. One was for people, or groups, on foot or horses. After a quick inspection of their belongings, they entered the city without any hassle. However, the second line was made of wagons and carts and each one had at least five mercenaries and rough-looking people guarding it. The city guards inspected the wares with much more attention, especially the ones with any kind of animals.

Is this usual? Tetsuko asked as her wielder entered the first line.

"No," she whispered, eyeing the gates and the line of wagons. "But given the state of the kingdom, it's expected..."

After a quick inspection of her bag, the soldiers let Faela in without realizing who she was.

Tetsuko couldn't help but be surprised. She had been in a few cities back when she was human. As a sword, she hadn't seen any in this different world.