Chapter 70 - After the fight (2)

Faela brought Tetsuko down, chopping the head off another crow. She had lost count of how many birds she and the soldiers had killed. Panting, covered in blood and sweat, and with black feathers sticking to her body, she looked around.

On another roof, a group of soldiers was forming a barrier to block the crow's beak. Though they were pushed back, they resisted. When the monster stopped pecking, it tried to put some distance between them to attack with the razor-sharp feathers, but the soldiers rushed to kill it.

"Are there... anymore?" Faela asked.

Tetsuko focused. Despite the heavy and poisonous smoke dampening her senses, the couldn't feel the crows' distinct Celeste in that area anymore.

I think so. At least here I can't sense them, she projected to her wielder.

"Good." She didn't seem relieved. Instead, she winced when she took deep breaths. "Now we need to rescue those caught in the fight."

You need to rest. You've done plenty.

"Agree. Too bad I don't have that luxury."

Tetsuko didn't even try augmenting with her wielder. Instead, she channeled her energy and made herself heavier.

It was so sudden Faela tilted to the side and fell on the ground. She looked at her sword, who was back to her normal weight and sighed, "Fine."

As she breathed deep and slowly, she watched the soldiers come down from the roofs and gather before Sergio in the town square.

"Good work! We may have lost a few of us, but their lives weren't in vain! We protected the city. We protected our city! It's thanks to them we'll see another day!" he shouted. Just like Faela, he was covered with blood, sweat, and feathers. So were the soldiers. But as their captain's words reached them, they shouted back, raising their hollow swords and shields in the air. "But our job isn't done. Not when there are people, our people, hurt! Let's save them!"

Despite their exhausted face, those words renewed their spirits. They split into several small groups and searched the houses that suffered most damages.

He's a better captain than I imagined, Tetsuko projected her thoughts to Faela.

"That was a surprise. He wasn't talented with a sword but had a way with people. I don't know what happened between him, his brother, and Lucky Chaos, but this crisis has brought out the best of him."

Glad he changed for good. Back in my world, I saw people changing for the worse. But I can't blame them. People lived and died but without ever knowing peace.

Faela snorted. "That's a surprise. You seem almost human saying that."

Why?

"I thought you'd say war was good for blacksmiths, that without it, you'd go out of business."

War doesn't make a difference to a skilled blacksmith. There's always need for swords and weapons and there will always be. Even with those damn firearms.

Even after dying and becoming a sword in another world, her hatred of those guns hadn't diminished at all. Guess I'll always hate them.

Before Faela could say anything, someone came running towards her.

"Master! Are you alright?" Anna asked, kneeling beside her.

"Yeah, just exhausted. But instead of me, you should worry about yourself."

She looked even worse than her master. Besides the blood, sweat, and feathers, she was also covered with soot from when she lit the house on fire. And unlike her master, she had many cuts made by the razor-sharp feathers.