Chapter 29 - The new mission

"Alonso!" Dale exclaimed the moment he saw the other lord, his face filling with joy and relief. "I'm so glad you're alive."

Before Tetsuko's wielder could do or say anything, Lucky Chaos shook his hand with both his in a fatherly manner.

Alonso was taken aback, but soon recovered and showed a polite, yet stiff, smile. Just as Enrique.

"Yes... it was an extreme fortune I got out of there alive." The lord took the seat at the head of the table and gestured for Lucky Chaos to sit as well. "If not for my infiltrated soldier, Rui, I'd probably be dead right now... or maybe worse..."

"And it'd have been my fault..." Dale's expression darkened as he looked down, ashamed. "I never expected Nicolas would know about that plant... If I did, I'd never have suggested it to you, my friend..."

Tetsuko couldn't help but let out a dry chuckle. He's a cunning bastard and a great actor... a dangerous combination... I doubt anyone would ever find out he planned the whole thing...

Alonso ran a hand on his leg and then moved his hand to his waist, where Tetsuko was. Without looking at her, his fingers hovered over the hilt for a moment before gripping around the guard cross.

To Tetsuko's surprise, their energies stir each other.

So if he doesn't grab me by the hilt, he won't suffer like that day... this is an interesting finding... if it wasn't for this crappy sheath...

As Alonso became more presentable for Lucky Chaos, he sent a soldier to pick up any sheath and a cloth.

To Tetsuko's annoyance, the soldier brought a sheath that was too big for her.

I can't believe I'm back to a huge and uncomfortable scabbard again... and with Alonso's suspicious of me, I doubt I'll get more than this, the soul in the sword thought.

"Yes. We must thank the Gods for your good luck," Dale said, flashing a smile worthy of a friend.

Tetsuko snorted, rolling her eyes in the head. Could he be any more fake?

It was only for a heartbeat, but Lucky Chaos's gaze darted at her before he sat on the chair before Alonso.

That stare was enough to make Tetsuko's energy grow cold. I'm paralyzing before him... I'm a sword, and yet I'm afraid of a human...

"What do we owe your visit, my lord?" Enrique asked. Unlike the lords, the retainer didn't sit. He remained standing next to Alonso, almost like a father protecting a son. "And I must admit it was so sudden we didn't have time to prepare to receive you."

"I can't pay a visit to a friend?" Dale's voice was low, almost menacing.

"Of course, Lord Dale. But my lord is still recovering. And I've been sending messages about it to the court." Enrique kept his voice neutral, unfazed by the tone.

"Yes... I've been keeping up with all the updates. Even so, I wanted to see Alonso in person. I owe his father too much to not see his son in a moment like this." Dale stared at the retainer with cold eyes.

"But it's not the only reason, is it?" Enrique maintained the stared.

Dale narrowed his eyes. At that moment, his twisted energy stirred.

The energies inside Tetsuko and Alonso reacted.

For a brief moment, the soul in the sword felt the urge to slay the advisor so she would never have to hear his voice again.

With great effort, she quelled down that impulse. Tired, she glanced at Lucky Chaos.

So that's... how it feels... to fight Dale's... energy... Then she looked up at her wielder. I was underestimating him... I have no idea how he can fight it constantly...