Chapter 59 - The attacks

Faela waited for Anna in the square before the soldier's headquarters with her arms crossed. Though she smiled and greeted everyone who talked to her, it wasn't enough to hide her anxiety. Whenever she saw someone with yellow hair, she turned to them, only to be disappointed when she found out it wasn't the girl she was waiting.

She only breathed out in relief and smiled when she saw Anna running and waving at her.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Faela," the girl said, panting when she stopped before the swordswoman. Anna placed both hands on her knees to catch her breath. "I had trouble with my armor... It took much longer to clean it... So did my sword..."

"It's okay. First, breathe. I wasn't waiting for long anyway," Faela said, flashing a gentle smile. Then she took a step back to look at the girl.

Anna was completely different a few hours ago when they left the brothel. Her hair was clean and tied with a flowery hairpin. Though her armor was polished, there was still some rust here and there, and underneath it, she wore light clothes. The biggest difference, however, was her eyes. Instead of dull and empty that couldn't even see the face of the person talking to her, they shone.

After Faela walked around her, she hummed and nodded in approval. "Good. That's how a swordswoman should look. There's only one thing missing." She pulled one of the daggers on her waist and handed to the girl. "That's a special weapon made of living metal alloy. You'll need it to fight those monsters."

"Thanks." Anna smiled as he clutched the sheathed dagger. When she drew it a little to see the blade, her eyes shone even more.

Tetsuko couldn't help but smile. That girl is truly a swordswoman.

When Anna sheathed and put the dagger on her waist next to her sword, her face became serious. "So you're really here to fight those monsters..."

"No. I'm here to investigate the worshipers."

"T-the worshipers? Did you went to exterminate them?"

"Unlike the court keeps insisting, that threat is far from over."

"You think those monsters are involved?"

"I know they are," Faela said, touching Tetsuko for a moment. "That's why we're here. I'm waiting for a friend... Ah, there she is."

A soldier came out from the headquarters carrying many papers with her arms. When she saw Faela, she came in her direction. "Good morning, Faela!"

"Good morning, Camila. Wow, you look tired."

The soldier indeed had dark circles under her eyes. Even so, she still smiled, her cheeks reddening. "Y-yeah... Things are too busy nowadays. Especially with so many new recruits... Too bad most of them only know how to swing a sword, or at least, think they know. For those who can read, there's extra work..."

"Sorry for adding more..."

"N-no! Not at all. I'm glad I can help a friend," Camila hurried to add, handing the papers. "H-here at the reports you asked by the way."

"Thanks. How about the other thing?"

"I haven't been able to talk to the head healer. He's been too busy with the injured people from yesterday."

"What about—"

"He hasn't disposed of the monster's body. He says there's got to be something he's missing."

"Good. I need to check them too," Faela said. "Thanks for this once again. Hope Sergio didn't give you too much trouble."

Camila let out a weak chuckle. "The captain was complaining about you when he came in the morning, saying something you tricked him last night."