Chapter 62 - After the fight

"You're lucky you didn't break any ribs," the doctor said as she wrapped the bandages around the Faela's torso.

"I know," she agreed in a low voice, glancing at the hundreds of hastily made bed inside the church.

Luckily the new worshipers were weak. If they had been as strong as the ones in the mining mountains, Tetsuko projected her thoughts to her wielder. Though Faela said nothing, the sword knew she felt the same.

The soldiers had trouble but they managed to kill every worshiper thanks to their numbers. However, by that time, the damage had been too much. Hundreds of people wounded, killed or turned. Those still alive were brought to the church. Even with the castle's doctors' help, there were so many they couldn't take care of everyone.

Despite the pain, Faela didn't rest. She gave up her bed for someone else and walked out of the church.

"Master," Anna said the moment she saw her. "Are you alright? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I told you it wasn't a big deal. More important than that, how are you?" Faela looked at her neck. She covered it right away, wincing when she touched it. "It still hurts?"

"Yes," she admitted in a low voice, lowering her eyes. "It's burning a little..."

Don't worry. You won't turn into a worshiper. Not because of the blood, at least. The poisonous Celeste is gone.

"But what?" Faela asked when she sensed her sword's hesitation.

There's something... like a trace that I can't devour. It's not enough to harm you but it's probably the source of the pain.

"I see... There's nothing we can do?"

"D-don't worry about me, master. I can handle this much," she said, forcing a smile.

"I know you can. But it doesn't mean you should. You need more training. We can't risk this happening again. If Tetsuko couldn't take the poison out of you..." She shuddered at the idea.

The girl dropped her shoulders and looked at the ground. "If I weren't weak..."

"You are strong, Anna. You fought bravely and saved many. That's something to be proud of."

"Thanks," she whispered, her cheeks blushing.

"Faela!" someone shouted.

As they turned, they saw the Captain of the City's guard. "Hey, Sergio. Good job back there. You really saved the day," she said, smiling at him.

He narrowed his eyes at once, "I don't need your sarcasm."

"I meant it. You really saved us back there."

"Oh... O-okay... I-it was my job," he mumbled, caught off guard by her sincerity. "A-anyway, I'm not here for that."

"Then what is it? We can leave the report for later. I don't think the lord will mind waiting a while if we're saving his people."

"Yeah, I don't know about that." Sergio shook his head. "But I'm not here about the report."

He looked around to make sure no one was listening to them. Though the surroundings of the church were packed with people, most were worried about their friends and family and didn't seem to be listening.

Even so, Sergio gestured to Faela and Anna to move to a more private place inside an alley.

"Please, Faela, I need your help. No, this city needs your help. We can't fight those... those monsters and the worshipers. Not without those special weapons you mentioned."