Chapter 64 - Blacksmiths

"What a complete waste of time!" Baltasar complained as they headed to the forge, coughing.

"Take it easy, grandpa. All that formality is necessary, you know that," said Bartolomeu, the Grand blacksmith's grandson. "And please, be careful with your words. We're not at home. The nobles here won't be so lenient."

"Fuck them. I don't care nor have time to worry about pleasing them. I'm here to hand over the weapons. Now it's done, I can do what I want."

While Faela laughed and Anna flashed a wry smile, Bartolomeu sighed and shook his head.

And what do you wanna do? Tetsuko asked, eager to know what the blacksmith was thinking.

The old man coughed and flashed a juvenile smile. "You'll see. But first, let me show you the new weapons I developed. You won't believe what I came up with!"

You worked on new weapons since then?

It had been a little over six weeks since they parted ways after the Worshipers' expedition.

"Of course. There's no way I could stand still, especially now, when people need strong weapons," he said, his eyes glowing.

Tetsuko couldn't contain her excitement as well. What did you come up with?

"You'll see."

Bartolomeu rolled his eyes while Faela and Anna chuckled.

"When two blacksmiths meet," the swordswoman muttered.

"In my defense, not all of us are like that," he said. "I just can't believe grandpa found someone as fanatic about blacksmithing as him. I never thought the day would come. And especially when the other blacksmith is actually a sword..."

"I know what you mean," Anna said. "Even after talking to Tetsuko, it still hard to believe a talking sword exists."

"Please. You're all children who saw nothing of this world and think you know everything," Baltasar said. "There a lot you couldn't even dream. I'm old and I haven't seen much. Don't close your minds to the impossible, children."

They said nothing else as they followed the Grand blacksmith to the castle forge.

You said all that, but I'd have a little trouble to believe right away in a talking sword if I wasn't the said sword, Tetsuko projected her thoughts only to him.

"Guess I'm the crazy one," he said with a smile, confusing his grandson and Anna.

Faela looked at the sword on her waist and understood what had happened. "Lord Balthasar," she said after a while.

"I'm not a lord. I'm a blacksmith. Blacksmiths don't need titles. Real ones, at least."

All we need is skill, Tetsuko completed his sentence. He looked at her and smiled.

Faela chuckled. "Forgive me. Then Balthasar, may I ask how Lady Celia managed to supply all those weapons? I know it costed a lot more than we imagined to stop the worshiper's invasion and the kingdom hasn't sent their part yet. Even the Lord of Iron couldn't fund everything so fast."

"It was Afonso. He sent money for the weapons, saying it'd help you."

"I see..." She was surprised, but then she smiled. "I had no idea the situation would become like this, but he imagined it. He'll be a good lord."

"Something rare these days," Baltasar added, not bothering to keep his voice down.

"Grandpa!" Bartolomeu whispered in a hushed voice, looking around. "Careful what you say here!"