Chapter 76

Faela met the bald worshiper while Anna blocked the other with her katana. The master held her ground, but the disciple was sent back flying.

"Anna!"

"You don't have time to worry about her," the worshiper said, kicking her on the ribs.

Faela jumped to the side to lessen the blow but wasn't fast enough. "Urgh!" she grunted but clenched her jaw and swung her sword at her enemy despite the pain.

He raised his forearm and blocked it as if it was nothing.

Strong! It's like hitting iron. As expected of someone the same level as the grand priest, Tetsuko thought, smiling in her head. But you're not stronger than me!

When they arrived in the area, she was already circling her energy along the edge. When they saw the worshiper, she flowed the Celeste faster. By now, she was as sharp as when she fought the grand priest. Even so, all she managed was a superficial cut on the worshiper's skin.

Faela used the kick on the ribs to roll and avoid more damage. Then she sprung to her feet, ready to attack. The worshiper was already before her, striking with the open palm.

She dodged and hit his stomach with all her force. It was enough to send him backwards, but when he stood, she saw only his clothes were cut.

It's like I hit him with a dull edge, Tetsuko thought, more shocked than she would like.

"Can you get sharper?" Faela muttered, panting.

...

I need time.

"We don't have much."

Behind the man, Anna was struggling with the other worshiper. Though she dodged the attacks, it was by a hairsbreadth. Any mistake and she would die. And just like Tetsuko, her blade couldn't cut the enemy.

There was nothing Faela could do though. Not while she was facing a deadly foe herself.

The bald worshiper tried to punch her.

She dodged, feeling the air pressure passing by her.

At once he changed stance and attacked her with his elbow.

Faela barely managed to block with Tetsuko. Even if she reacted in time, she was pushed back. Using all her strength, she twisted her body, redirecting the elbow away from her and escaping.

Without wasting a single instant, she struck her sword on the worshiper's ribs. This time the edge dug deeper into the man's flesh. Even though she drew blood, it was barely enough to cause real damage.

Even so, the worshiper jumped back and put some distance between them, checking his wound. "That sword is indeed troublesome. Even if it's a relic from the past, that tool getting sharper in the middle of a fight shouldn't be possible. No one in this world can use Celeste better than us, the worshipers of the Truth. Unless there's something in there," he narrowed his eyes at the sword.

I'm not a tool, you fool, Tetsuko projected her thoughts to him.

"You were upset about that?" Falea muttered, flashing a wry smile.

The worshiper widened his eyes. "What kind of monster is in that sword?"

Despite the situation, the swordswoman couldn't help but laugh. "Did you hear that? A worshiper called you a monster. That's saying something."

Tetsuko didn't answer. She was entirely focused on sharpening her energy and her edge. I'm already sharper than when I fought the Grand Priest. I need to go beyond that!