Chapter 2

Silence. I couldn't believe it. The whole house was deserted. No noise. Nothing. I headed into the kitchen ready to feast on whatever goodies I found. I wasn't hungry but it was a routine I had gotten myself used to. The school dinners were really filling thanks to the lovely cook Miss Croft. There was a strange atmosphere when I entered the room, it was as if it was deserted. It was like my parents had left me forever but that thought was ridiculous! My parents are not the sort to abandon me. I really needed to stop watching the amount of films that I do. Honestly, at times I think of myself as a character from a film I had recently watched. It's ridiculous I know.

Ring ring

My mobile began to ring but the number which came up wasn't one I recognised but I answered it anyway.

"Hello?" I inquired wondering who was ringing me up.

"Hi is this Charlotte?" A female voice asked.

"Um yes. Who's this?"

"It's Chlo. Your mum and dad gave me your number."

"Oh okay." I was confused to as why my parents had given Chlo my number.

"The thing is..." She was cut off by the doorbell. "I'm so sorry. Someone's at the door and I'm the only one around so I'm gonna have to go."

"It's fine." I told her honestly.

"Okay well now you've got my number you can just ring me if you need anything."

"I will do thanks. You'd better go and answer the door."

"Thanks for understanding."

"Don't worry about it."

"I'll call you back later."

"Okay bye!"

"Bye Charlotte!" The line then went dead. I laughed to myself at the thought of Chlo having to rush around to get to the door now. The phonecall was so weird and unexpected.

Then something grabbed my attention. There was a small folded piece on paper placed on the dining room table next to the blue lamp. I reached over to it and opened it ready to read the latest piece of information.

"Charlotte, we're going away for a couple of days. Look after yourself and don't forget to eat. You know we love you very much and by going away we are helping our family. We hope you will understand one day how we are doing this because we love you.

Love mum and dad."

Instead of leaving a note they could have at least waited until I got home from school and have the decency to let me know face to face. Typical. But I understand that it is to be expected in their job. Of course I understand, I don't blame them for anything and they need to believe that. I just wish things could've been different. I hope they would be different this time seeing as I am closer to everything more than before. I now understood why Chlo had my number, they wanted to make sure I was safe and the fact Chlo was a neighbour was the perfect person.

I raced upstairs and ran straight into my parents room which seemed different than it was this morning. I looked into one of the drawers and noticed more than half the clothes were missing. I soon figured they were not coming back home for at least a fortnight. I walked into my own bedroom and closed the door gently.

*Ring ring* 

There was no answer so I guessed an emergency operation was happening. I decided to leave a voicemail so they knew I was safe. They knew they could trust me though.

"Hi mum and dad, it's only me. I was only ringing to let you know I had seen your message. School's been fine. Ring me back when you can, thanks." I then ended the call and placed my mobile onto the dressing table in the corner of my room which was right next to the window. I put my desk there so I could look outside for inspiration when I got stuck doing my homework. Lame I know but at the time it sounded like a good idea.

In my bedroom I pulled off my uniform and changed into my own comfortable clothes. I decided to wear my blue denim shorts, my black knee length socks and my retro robot jumper. It was my favourite outfit. Then something hit me, now my parents were not around I could do what I wanted. They couldn't stop me from seeing my friends, even the older ones who I haven't been in touch with for days. Lewis! I had forgotten to text him to let him know how I was finding the place. I had been too caught up in getting to know the place I had completely forgot. I pulled my phone out of my blazer pocket and typed a message:

Hey Lewis! How ya doing? I'm in my new house. We need to meet up soon xx

A few seconds later my phone vibrated and started to play Here's Your Freakin' Song by Bowling For Soup which happened to be my text tone for Lewis as everytime I heard it, it reminded me of him. I've never listened it the same since that day Lewis played it non-stop.

Hiya Charlotte. This is crazy! I've not spoken to you in ages. I've missed you. I'm glad you've moved in okay. Whereabouts are you living now? xx

I've missed you too :-( I miss our gang so much. Umm it's somewhere in Rochdale xx

Wanna meet up? I'm in Salford at the moment so I could get to Rochdale easily but I'll understand if you don't want to yet seeing as though you've not been here long xx

No it's fine. Come round later if you want xx

Okay, I'll come round tonight. I'll text you when I'm at Rochdale station? xx

Haha okay, yeah. You can stay the night if you want xx

I take it your parents have left again? xx

Yeah. Ah well. Anyway I've got to go in a bit, I'm going round to my neighbour's house. See you tonight xx

Bye Charlotte. Have fun but not too much fun! It's good to hear from you xx

Texting Lewis made me realise how lucky I am to have him in my life. Everyone else has seemed to walk out of it but Lewis has stuck by me no matter what. My parents are not bad in case you are wondering, their job just doesn't allow them to spend time at home.

*****

NOTE: I know this is really short and it's the crappiest chapter I've ever written but I promise the next part will make up for it. Please let me know what you think about it and I apologise for the cover picture but it's the best I can do for now x