Chapter 9

"This place totally rocks!" Scout exclaimed as we took a tour of the school house examining every little detail.

"I agree." I looked at the time and realised it was now 4.00pm. We had been at the hospital since around 1.00pm. "Shall we go and find out which are our rooms?" I suggested. All I wanted to do right now was to get into my bed and cry but I wasn't going to admit this to Scout because she probably wouldn't let me go on my own.

"Yeah. Miss Croft might be in the kitchen."

"We'll go and look there then."

We walked into the kitchen to become the centre of attention. All eyes were locked onto myself and Scout. It was honestly like my first day again.

"Scout! Charlotte! Thank God you two are okay." Miss Croft came racing over and threw her arms around us both. She then turned to face me. "How's your head?"

"It's fine now. It hurt like hell when I woke up but now I can't feel anything. I can't remember anything from the accident either."

"You mustn't panic remember?" Scout was trying to prevent me from getting worked up. I hated this so much, all I wanted to do was remember every single little detail.

"Charlotte can't remember anything as when she hit her head, she gained a tiny bit of memory loss." I heard Scout inform Miss Croft, Mr Budgen and Harley who were all seated in the kitchen area.

"Oh Charlotte come here sweetheart!" Miss Croft engulfed me into a hug. It seemed like a motherly type of hug to me.

"I'm sorry to hear about that Charlotte. I hope you gain your memory back soon."

"Me too." I admitted in defeat not even bothering to hide the frustration in my voice.

"How's Phoenix and Denzil doing?" Harley asked me. The other two looked at me hoping the answer would be I'm fine. Instead, I broke down into tears.

"Denzil. He. He didn't." I broke down completely not even caring that there were other people around me. I noticed they turned their gazes towards Scout willing her to explain what had happened.

"Denzil didn't make it. He died in the ambulance." She told them before she too broke down into flood of tears. The both of us could've flooded the room with the amount of tears we had produced today.

They all gasped and then Harley broke down too. "He can't be. He's a fighter." Harley sobbed.   "Come here you." Miss Croft then pulled Harley into a hug, attempting to calm him down.

Mr Budgen finally moved from his spot. "I'm going to gather everyone else and tell them the news." He swallowed which suggested he himself was trying to not cry.

"Miss please can you show us to our rooms?" I politely asked trying to sound normal.

She released Harley then nodded. "Follow me."

We were led upstairs were the dorm rooms started. My room and Scout's room were built next to each other which I was pleased about.

"Myself and Mr Budgen thought you two would want your rooms to be close together." Miss Croft told us.

"Thanks miss." Scout and I said in unison.

"It's not a problem. Tea will be ready at six."

"Thank you but I'm not very hungry." I confessed.

"I understand. But please, don't starve yourself. I can't bare to see either of you upset. Scout will you be eating later."

"I don't know. Sorry." I had never in all my time of seeing Scout, seen her as transparent as this.