Chapter 4

I grabbed my coat and stormed out of the door to head my way over to Lewis’s house. He was Maxine’s ex-boyfriend and he was also the only person who understood what I was going through. It was dark outside but I didn’t care, I was not going to let that stop me. I needed to see Lewis and I was going to no matter what. Once I was out of sight from any of the Kelly family I pulled out my phone and texted Lewis, instructing him to meet me outside of my school. A few minutes later he replied and sure enough within ten minutes we could see each other.

He came running over and gave me a massive hug whilst I cried into his arms. Eventually he put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me away from him gently while he looked at my face, wiping away tears which had fallen. Without saying a word he took my hand and walked me over to the nearst bench. A few seconds passed until I stopped crying wondering how I could tell him this horrible news I had discovered.

“C’mon then, tell me. What's broken your heart?

I felt a few more tears drip down my face.

“Not Denzil by any chance?” He asked jokingly, except this wasn’t a joke. No matter how hard I wished it was, in reality this was real. Earl had been the cause of all the upset in my past and due to that scumbag I had to move house leaving everyone I knew behind to start over. I couldn’t get the words out to explain this to Lewis so I just nodded then started uncontrollably crying.

“What’s he done Charlotte? Has he hurt you? ‘Cause if he has he will know about it, there’s no way in hell I’m having you upset by something upsetting. So c’mon tell me everything.”

I cried for a bit longer not wanting to explain myself to Lewis. This situation had gotten out of hand, all I had wanted to do was to live where Maxine had lived her life. What I didn't expect was to end up meeting her murderer's brother. A spark was sent swirling down my spine as I thought back to the events of the night. I felt sick at the memory, knowing I had walked into my cousin's murderer's house and even met his mother. Around ten minutes later I calmed my tears a little bit then poured my heart out. I knew Lewis would react badly to this but I didn't care, he needed to know about this. It isn't something I could keep to myself, not if it all came out later on and Lewis found out I knew. It just wasn't fair.

“It’s not Denzil…” I started. “It’s his scumbag of a brother.”

“Who’s his brother? How dare he upset you like this. That's it. You tell me exactly what he's done and I swear i'm going to go round there and show him a piece of my mind. Nobody messes with my little sister like this." Lewis was getting angry now, his 'bad boy' side of him reveled. 

"You can't see him anyway."

"Why not? Don't you dare try to protect him. Like I said, no one messes with my family and gets away with it. Not this time."

"Lewis you don't understand."

"Oh I understand alright. He's scared you so much you're afraid to even tell me..." 

 I cut him off. “Lewis, Denzil’s brother is Earl. Earl Kelly. The scumbag who killed our Maxine.”

I looked at Lewis. His face had turned as white as a ghost. I carried on talking. Might as well get this all over with now I thought.

“He’s nothing like Denzil though. I just can’t believe I fell for the brother of my cousin’s murderer. I’m such an idiot; I hate myself for letting him into my life. This was all about a new start, to get away from it all yet all I’ve done is move closer and closer right to where it all happened.”

The tears came crashing down even harder. Everything I had was disappearing and now, by the look on Lewis’s face, I was going to lose him. I couldn't loose another family member. Related or not, he was still a part of mine and Maxine's family.