Chapter 8

I felt numb. I couldn't bring myself to move. I tried to open my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I felt extremely light headed. Is that what it feels like to be dead? Time went by so slowly. I tried to speak again but like the previous time, I failed.

"Don't move. Stay exactly as you are. We will help you through each step."

What? I couldn't grasp what he was talking about.

"Just keep your eyes open. We're taking you to the hospital."

The hospital? Why was I going to the hospital? It was only when I moved I felt a sharp jolt burst through my head. It hurt really badly as if I had been shot in the head. How had I only just noticed this. I looked around and was startled as I spotted the flashing blue lights surrounding me whilst leading me into a trance. Usually blue lights scare me as it means there was danger but I realised I was in danger. The blue lights had come to save me. They had become quite distracting and I watched then with tense eyes, wondering what had happened. All I could feel now was myself falling off into another daze...

Someone shook my head jolting me awake. Let me sleep was all I could think about.

"You need to keep your eyes open. It's important you make sure they stay open."

I turned my head towards the sound of the voice. He didn't sound like a threat to me and as I attempted to adjust my eyes, I could see a blurry outline of him. He was wearing a uniform and I realised he was a paramedic.

I felt someone tie me down to a board and strap me tightly to prevent me from falling off. By now I was too tired to even try to stop them but I just let them carry me into the back of what I presumed was an ambulance. I was right. The sounds of an ambulance siren could be heard as we drove off the main road to head to the nearest hospital.

"It's okay Charlotte. I'm here now. Everything's gonna be okay."

I instantly recognised that voice. How could I not? She was my best friend for crying out loud!

"Thanks Scout." Well that's what I tried to say. In the end it came out as a ruffled sound due to the wires which were attached to me and it also didn't help that I had been wrapped up so tightly I could hardly breathe.

Scout reached over and squeezed my hand. "It's alright. All that matters is you get better but I'm not gonna leave you, I promise."

I loosely squeezed back her hand then my eyes started to slowly shut. The last thing I remembered was all background noise. I passed out.

~*~

"Charlotte."

Silence.

"Charlotte."

Wait was someone talking to me?

"Charlotte." A gentle voice called out. 

Yep, someone was definitely trying to talk to me. It wasn't my imagination after all. I tried my hardest to open my eyes but nothing would happen. I was beginning to panic working myself up into a state. I had to remain calm. I thought of a calming river and tried again.

"Charlotte you can do it. Just slowly open your eyes."

I didn't recognise this voice but it seemed as if they were worried I wouldn't be able to open my eyes. I counted to ten in my head and tried again. A bright light flashed into my eyes causing my eyes to snap shut as I wasn't expecting this. After a few more moments I tried again and succeeded. I found myself in a hospital room staring at the eyes of my best friends.

"Hi guys." I said to them.

Scout burst into tears and within seconds she was by my side holding on to me for dear life. "Oh Charlotte. You don't know how worried I've been!"