Bittersweet Marriage Proposal (Chandler/Ross)

You glanced between your three closest friends- Phoebe, Monica, and Rachel. You felt suddenly lost as to who to pick for your maid of honor. It seemed nearly impossible.

"Monica," You began with, seeing her sit up and smile in announcement of her name. "Rachel," You turned to face her as well, seeing her brighten a smile on her lips. "Phoebe," You completed the list of names, seeing her smiling back at you.

"You guys are the best people ever, don't get me wrong about that. But, it seems like so much pressure. So, I've decided to let you guys decide who is going to be my maid of honor."

Phoebe looked over at Rachel.

"You what?" Monica asked, looking at you. You shrugged, taking a sip of the wine.

"It's just easier and besides, if I could choose all of you, I would." You replied, giving them a smile before setting the glass down. 

"Well, personally, I would like to thank ____ for everything she's done for all of us. It's incredible to see you so happy and you're getting married! So, let's raise our glasses to the celebration of-"

Your eyes met hers. "Rachel, I'm still not deciding."

"Damn it." She mumbled under her breath as Phoebe laughed. She shot her a look which immediately shut her up.

You just laughed softly. "Come on, guys. You can all decide who will be my maid of honor and it's not like you're not invited to the wedding if you aren't."

"Yeah, but we're not the maid of honor!" Monica exclaimed. "I want to get married again so I can make everyone feel this way."

You raised a brow in her direction.

"What? You feel like a princess on that day- and everyone pays attention to you and there are moments of fun and tears are shed. It's just, the best day ever."

You looked down at the ring on your finger.

"Rachel, can I talk to you for a second?" You asked her, seeing her nod. "Uh, yeah."

You both got up and left the table, standing off near the women's bathroom so that Monica and Phoebe could avoid hearing you.

"Rachel, I can't marry him."

She put a hand on your shoulder. "It's common to get cold feet before the wedding but, _____, you'll be so happy with him."

"No, I can't marry him because I'm in love with another man." You told her. Your heart was pounding.

"Who?"

You mumbled something very softly underneath your breath as she tried to hear you.

"What?"

"Chandler." You said a little bit louder.

Rachel took a step back. "But, honey, Chandler is a happily married man."

You nodded. "I know, and I thought getting married would get my mind off of him but it hasn't."

Rachel frowned. "Sweetie, as your friend, I think you should let him go and live your life. You're getting married in two days! You should be excited about that!"

"But I'm not!" You exclaimed, running your hand through your hair. "I should be excited but I'm not! I'm not marrying the right person."

"Listen, _____, Chandler is married. He's very happy with Monica- they love each other. I think just get over him. You can find your own love."

You shook your head. "My feelings about Ross have never been there- I've made them all up. I can't marry him- I simply can't."

"Then why did you agree to marriage?"

"Because I thought it might take my mind off of him." You replied, looking down at the ring on your finger. "Clearly, it's failed."

"Does Ross know?"

You shook your head. "I would break his heart two days before we were destined to get married."

"Were?" She asked.

You nodded. "Were. I can't marry him when I'm in love with someone else- it isn't fair to him or me."

She nodded. "I understand. Maybe talk to Ross tonight. Get it over with before the day before the wedding."

You nodded. "Yeah."

-
treat people with kindness.

-katherine