seven

" Fuck," is the word that escapes Jace's mouth, gripping Rue tightly as the Career's speak. It goes on for too long, both tributes holding their breath, fearing that a heavy breath will give the Careers their location.

" We need to find your girl," District One's Marvel states, pointing his spear at Marcus.

" Why? Not like she could do much," he scoffs in response. Jace responds with biting her tongue.

" You never know. Some looks can be deceiving," Cato adds, giving a shrug.

" What do you know?" Marcus scoffs again. " Did you talk to her or something?"

" Yeah, actually," he responds.

" And you didn't ask her to join us?!" Marvel exclaims, Glimmer adding, " We could've used her then kill her while she was sleeping after a few days."

" Do you really think she would agree to join us, especially after she embarrassed you-" Cato points to Marcus, " -and you?" he points to Clove. " Yeah right," he scoffs, walking away, his footsteps loud against the Earth, his fellow Careers following with louder footsteps.

When their steps are barely heard, Jace is able to breathe calmly, the fear leaving her. She finally felt fear. Her eyes move down to Rue, removing her hand from the girl's mouth. " Sorry," she apologizes.

" Your hand tastes like dirt," Rue responds, making a grin grow on the elder's face.